Because Of Hugh, I Belong With WV HOBY

Because Of Hugh, I Belong With WV HOBY

“The most important thing in education is to teach young people to think for themselves.”

32
Because Of Hugh, I Belong With WV HOBY
My Photo

The Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Organization and all HOBY alumni alike lost someone very near and dear to all of our hearts this past week, Hugh O’Brian. I remember when I came across the news of his passing and instantly reached out to my fellow HOBY friends sharing fond memories and important lessons.

I still remember receiving the news that I was picked to be an ambassador for the 2015 seminar at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. Later that year, my mom, brother, and I packed up the car and started the four hour car ride to the most influential four days of my entire life. I didn’t know what to expect when suddenly these strangers in blue polos suddenly surrounded me trying to hug me for no apparent reason. I said goodbye to my mom and joined the other nervous sophomores waiting for what was to come next.

Little did I know that over the course of the seminar I would meet my best friend (I’m talking about you Todd), gain the confidence to speak my mind, learn the importance of being involved in my community, and become OUTSTANDING. My friends come from all over the wild and wonderful state of West Virginia stemming from all walks of life. Surrounded with the best and brightest 15-16 year olds, I finally found where I belonged. Tears were shed during the closing ceremonies when we stood arm in arm as we sang “Out Here On My Own”. However, it would only be a month and a half until I saw them again at *cough *cough REUNION!

As soon as I returned home I knew I had to spread Mr. O’Brian’s vision and mission with my school and to anyone who would listen. Over the course of the year I spent over 150 hours volunteering for my Leadership for Service goal and recruiting the next wave of future ambassadors. The opportunity arose for me to apply to Ops staff. As you can probably imagine, I jumped on my computer immediately frantically typing away. To my surprise, I was chosen! This meant I could go see my HOBY family once more at the following year’s seminar. Even though I only received a total of 6 hours of sleep over the period of that seminar, I would not have traded it for the world, not even the laminating of over 300 name tags at 3 am.

In conclusion, I just want to say thank you. Thank you HOBY for giving me an unforgettable experience and lessons that I will treasure for a lifetime. Thank you Group N (Dustin, Jessica, Kate, AJ, Alyssa, Andrew, Erin, Kaylee, Maggie, Sam, Skylaar, and Todd) and Group Z (AJ, Nick, Kate, Todd, and Mary) for being so accepting while always being up for anything. Thank you to WV Ops staff and Matteo for making sure I was caffeinated and singing countless PMA cheers with me as Ms. PMA. Thank you to everyone West Virginia HOBY for everything that you do, you matter and your dedication does not go unnoticed. Finally, thank you Hugh. Dr. Schweitzer told you, “The most important thing in education is to teach young people to think for themselves.” You took those fifteen words and created the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Organization: an organization that has changed the world through enthusiasm, love and service.

I think I speak on behalf of thousands of people when I say we will make it our mission to continue carrying out your vision for the world, because we have adapted the same vision. You did not teach us what to think, but you taught us how to think, and because of that the chain reaction you started will never end.