Society's Beauty Standards Are Dangerous And Unwanted

I Truly Hate The Power Society's Beauty Standard Has On Us — Enough Is Enough

Beauty has no boundaries and is fluid. Anyone who told you otherwise can get lost.

4095

This is an open letter to all the people that have tried to define what beauty is. I just wanted to say, I hate you.

I remember the first time I ever felt insecure about myself. One minute I was just eating a snack and the next I was running into a bathroom crying after being told boys wouldn't like girls who were fat.

I was ten years old.

That same year I would be told that I would look better if I used makeup to cover-up my pimples. By the time I was twelve, I was on a strict diet until I was told that if I didn't eat dinner I would lose weight faster.

Insecurity took over my life, and I gave into it to be "beautiful."

I used to pray to God, and wish on every birthday candle, to be prettier.

By the time I was 14, I discovered the world of makeup and absolutely fell in love. For the first time, I felt confident. I thought I would finally be pretty but then came the insecurity again. I was told that I caked on too much makeup and that being all-natural was better.

Over the course of the next few years, I was lost in a constant state of confusion about what beauty was. If I wore makeup, I was trying too hard — if I went natural, I was too ugly. I was also too fat, but I shouldn't lose too much weight because I don't want to be too skinny.

So, what is beautiful?

At the age of eighteen, I now know all those people who ever made me feel so little didn't know what beautiful meant either. Beauty is not one size, one skin tone, or even a certain makeup look. It is simply who you are.

We live in a world where beauty standards have a set definition, but who is to say that the definition is correct? Who gets to tell us if we're beautiful? We have allowed society to dictate a false standard and enough is enough.

No one should have to feel so insecure inside their own body. It is your body — own it! Wear as much makeup as you please or don't wear any at all. Or put on that one outfit that sits in your closet because you think you won't look good (trust me, you'll look stunning). Stop dieting for the sole purpose of trying to look better. Do what makes you feel the most beautiful.

We need to stop comparing ourselves to what we looked like and start reminding ourselves that we are already perfect in every single way. There is no correct definition of beauty, so celebrate the wonderful you!

To all the people who have ever felt insecure, I am sorry. But, beauty has no boundaries and is fluid. Anyone who told you otherwise can get lost. Remember — you are always beautiful, no matter what.

To all the people that have tried to define beauty or has ever made someone feel bad about themselves, I hate you.

Correction: I absolutely loathe you.