How To Beat The Winter Blues In A Small Town

Release your inner child, splurge, or plan an indoor date...the seasonal sadness will be conquered.

2551

Let's face it, as great as small towns can be, they're more than certainly boring. Things to do are limited unfortunately, especially during the winter. Seasonal blues are common, no matter how beautiful and magical a fresh blanket of snow looks, it always ends up slushy and ugly within 24 hours. It limits what can be done too, it's not like Cedar Point or Nelson Ledges are an option. So how does one beat the winter blues when living in a small town? There are a few ways;

1. Winter activities

When finding myself stuck inside all day due to snow or cold whether, I always wonder what I could be doing instead. Of course I miss the summer or autumn activities that take place, but there's no shortage of fun things to do in the snow either. Why not get a friend, family member, or significant other to bundle up with you and have a snowball fight? It may seem juvenile but it can actually be so much fun to let go and act like a kid again. And of course, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of friendly competition. Maybe while you're out there you can make snow angels or build a snowman. It turns out that when you're with people you enjoy being around, there's no limit to what can end up being fun Other winter activities include sled riding or ice skating. Going to a local sled riding hill is free and can be made into an all day event. Or going to a local ice skating rink can be cheap as well depending on admission and skate rental. These things are easy to turn into small dates and can help beat those silly winter blues.

2. Adventuring

This may sound silly, but hiking and adventuring can be done in the winter too. Dress warmly, hook your dog up to a leash and start going. A local park like Mill Creek can be the perfect place to go exploring, sure you'll be cold but you'll be getting exercise and fresh air. You'll also be able to take in the beautiful scenery as well, maybe take some pictures or get some inspiration for a story. Whatever it is you love to do, a winter hike will be sure to empower and inspire. You can reward yourself when you get back with a big mug of tea, coffee, or hot cocoa and your favorite T.V. show, but winter adventures are sure to help conquer that house coma or seasonal sadness.

3. Take a drive

Filling up the gas tank and taking a drive to the closest city can be fun to do. Plan ahead and look at what's going on. You might be able to catch a cheap concert or a blowout sale. Bundle up and bring your best friend, there you can walk around and visit random places, get some dinner, shop and actually buy things that you want, and enjoy the atmosphere. It gets you out of the house and doing something you wouldn't normally do in the winter. Some days you just have to have self care, and sometimes self care involves treating yourself.

4. Find out what's happening locally

Living in a small town isn't exactly exciting, but you could totally be missing things that are happening right under your nose. There are loads of winter activities that might be going on near you. Things on campus, plays, craft shows, indoor festivals, light shows, movie premieres, etc. Check out local websites to see what's happening. A local restaurant or bar might be having live bands playing one night, or a movie you forgot you wanted to see might have made it to the cheap seats. Craft shows or indoor festivals are always a fun way to spend a few hours. Go see a play, your campus might be putting one on or some community theatre. Or even an art show. Really getting out and going to local events can make you feel a lot closer to your community and actually reassure you that your town is quite cultured and does actually have things to do every once and a while.

5. Make a date of staying in

If you don't feel like going out and braving the cold to beat the winter blues, that's fine. Instead find ways to beat the mundane inside. Clean up your room or your apartment, it's always nice to be in a clean environment, it clears the head and can even help clear some stress. Rearrange your room or sitting room, de-clutter, and get some laundry done. Be productive and listen to some music. Get your favorite book, bundle yourself up under some blankets with some tea, and read. Or write. Practice yoga or try a new recipe. Or make a date night with your significant other or best friend(s). Go out and get a bunch of snacks and rent a few movies you haven't seen, build a blanket fort and pop them in. Drink hot cocoa and cuddle to block out the cold, it's extra fun if you mute the movies and fill in the dialogue with your own crazy sentences. Make a date night of it. Maybe play video games together and make bets on who will win. Or board games, I for one can get lost in UNO for hours. Staying inside can be just as fun as going out during the winter, plan ahead and take the day by storm.

Winter is almost over now, only 2 or so months left. There's plenty to do in your small town on nights and weekends when you're bored at home, things you wouldn't even think of doing. Don't let the winter blues keep you bored and stir crazy, embrace the cold and have fun. You'll thank yourself for it later.