studying abroad tips for packing

15 Things You Should Know Before You Study Abroad​

You will never be 100% prepared but these tips can help.

84
Venice
Facebook

Almost everyone that I talk to refers to their time studying abroad in college as the most memorable two (or four) months of their lives. It's usually memorable for great reasons, but sometimes it's memorable for not-so-great reasons, like getting stuck overnight in a sketchy outdoor train station (hi, yes, that happened to me). Being prepared before you travel abroad can help a lot with these possible mishaps you may face along your journey. So here are 15 things you should know before you study abroad.

1. Learn a few key phrases before you leave.

English is a global language which allows you to communicate with most people. Most being the important word here. If you can learn a few phrases before you arrive in your host country you will feel so much more comfortable communicating with people. It can save you from getting on the wrong bus or train, from buying the wrong product at the store or ordering something weird at a restaurant.

2. Understand the currency exchange.

This seems like a no-brainer but it can really trip people up. For example, right now €1 (euro) is equal to $1.17 (USD), which is a conversion that fluctuates day to day. This doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it does start to add up over time. This also means you have to factor in conversion fees when withdrawing money from an ATM. Be aware of just how much you're actually spending.

3. Do not, I repeat, do not over pack.

This one is a biggie. I promise you are not going to wear even half of what you pack. Take only the bare essentials, that way you can shop once you're there for unique clothes to bring back with you or souvenirs for friends and family. I have heard of way too many people saying they had to leave stuff behind to make room for the fun new things they bought.

4. Don't carry your passport with you on a daily basis.

Having a form of identification is important but it's not necessary to take your actual passport with you. You can get an international student ID card, a passport card, or just carry a copy of your passport with you to save yourself from the headache of replacing it.

5. Public transportation will be your new best friend.

Pretty much every other country has better public transportation than America. You will use buses and trains on a daily basis to navigate whatever city you're in, and you will be able to do it cheaply. Make sure to take advantage of it and figure out how everything runs as quickly as possible to save your feet.

6. Explore your city during the week.

Make sure to take the time to truly explore the city you're staying at during the week. Get up early before class to go for a walk to see monuments and check out a museum in the evening when you finish with class. When the session is over, whether it's just for the summer or a full semester, you will still feel like there are things you didn't get to see that you wish you had.

7. Travel on the weekends.

Because you're spending all your time during the week exploring the city in which you're staying, you'll have your weekends free to travel to tons of cool places. Explore everything your new country has to offer, I promise you won't look back on your time wishing you spent weekends in.

8. Try new foods.

Trust me, you're going to miss cheeseburgers and burritos like no other, but you have to take advantage of the local cuisine around you. Besides, you'll never know if you like it if you don't try it!

9. The definition of a short walk varies based off where you are.

I used to think a "short walk" was 15 minutes max. Now a short walk to me is anywhere between 20 and 40 minutes. Even an hour is doable. So if you're asking for directions and someone says it's "just a short walk," it may not be your definition of a short walk.

10. Carry around a local map.

This can be a lifesaver. It's easy to get turned around in a city you aren't familiar with, and if you're trying to ask a local for directions it will make a lot more sense to have a visual aid to understand where they are telling you to go.

11. Getting lost can sometimes be the best.

Going out into your new city and getting lost can be one of the best things you can do. You'll discover new shops, restaurants and get to interact with locals. You'll see places you hadn't thought of visiting before and get away from all of the tourist traps.

12. Culture shock is real.

It's a really strange feeling to speak English to someone and they respond in another language with a blank stare. Understand that you will be in another culture, potentially with another language, and you aren't going to fit in. That's kind of the beauty of it though. You aren't supposed to fit in, you're supposed to be out of your comfort zone so you learn and grow.

13. Stereotypes will be made about/against you.

So try to be the exception. Don't go everywhere in sweats and a t-shirt, as tempting as it may be. Traveling is rough, but most countries don't dress as lax as America. Challenge yourself to be different and create a good impression on the locals.

14. You will get homesick.

Being away from home in a country you are completely unfamiliar with will make you miss home, a lot. You just have to push through it. If you spend every spare minute skyping people from back home you will miss out on so much. Find balance.

15. Your experience studying abroad will be unique to you.

Your trip will be 100% what you make it. Just because Lauren had a bad time in Germany doesn't mean you will. Get out of your comfort zone and live your adventure to its fullest. You should be on the plane returning home with zero regrets.