Be Kind

Be Kind

Why can't we all just get along?

11
Be Kind
Hope Heart

As the events in the world have unfolded recently, I’ve found myself often wondering why we can’t just be kind to one another.

It isn’t rocket science, after all. It’s basic common courtesy. It’s even common sense. It just makes sense. But here we are, living in a world full of hate and anger. Why? What good is it doing us? It's making this country look like a bunch of fools in the eyes of the rest of the world, and making people not even want to set foot on U.S. soil in fear of our behavior. We’ve officially become that guy -- you know, the one at the party no one wants to talk to. Yup, that’s us.

I don’t know how the rest of you guys were raised, but I personally was not raised to be hateful. I was raised knowing that people everywhere were different and that was OK. I had friends of different ethnic backgrounds, different economic statuses, and different religions, but that was OK. They were my friends and that’s all that mattered. My parents let me pave my own path.

They didn’t force beliefs on me or tell me who to like and who not to. They let me learn and grow and figure out the things I liked and didn’t like. They taught me manners, kindness and respect. Those were the important things, not the color of someone’s skin.

Maybe it’s because I came from an assorted background. My maternal grandparents were Irish and Japanese, and my paternal ones English and German/Pennsylvania Dutch. Talk about an assortment of ideas, beliefs and ways of life. But they were all embraced and an important part of my childhood.

Maybe it’s why I never really fit in perfectly with one group or another, or why I never was able to find an organized religion that I really enjoyed. But you know what? I appreciate all different religions for what they are, and can see the beauty in each one. I’ve studied some Buddhism, read about Taoism, been to both Lutheran and Catholic church services and masses. And the one message I’ve learned from each of them is so simple -- be kind to one another.

It seems too simple, doesn’t it? No matter what religion you are part of, it is one of the common threads that they all share. Be kind to each other. Treat each other with respect. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Put into the universe what you want to have come back to you. Every single one shares this common message, yet we seem blind to it. We ignore this simple message and fill the news with stories of hate and fear.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it isn’t such a simple concept, and I was just raised to think that way. But really, how is it so difficult? Offer someone help when you see them drop things on the ground. Pay it forward and buy the guy behind you in line at Wawa a coffee. Donate some time at a soup kitchen.

Even just a smile and a hello to someone as they pass you on the street. Tell your cashier to also have a nice day. But don’t be selective about who you do these kind acts to. Do them to everyone. Let go of the little things. If someone (like me, who is not tied to any particular religion) wants to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, let them. Let it go.

At least they took the time to wish you a happy something. Maybe they weren’t sure if you were Jewish or Catholic and they didn’t want to accidentally offend you. At least they were wishing you happiness. Could’ve been worse. They could’ve said screw you and your holidays, but they didn’t.

Always realize that life isn’t as long as we think. Always remember that it can be gone in a flash. Why waste that precious time being hateful. Wouldn’t you rather live life knowing that you filled yourself and others with love and happiness? Here, my challenge, to myself and to all of you.

Every day, every single day, from now until the moment you die, I challenge you to do one kind thing for someone. At least one, but please, the way things are now, feel free to do more than one. Someone you know, or someone you don’t, anyone. Smile at a stranger. Help an old lady reach something on a shelf at the store. Anything.

Find it somewhere in your heart to do this one thing each and every day. It may not seem like much, but realize that it will be contagious. It will spread, from one person to the next, and maybe in the end, we’ll remember how to just be nice.