15 Grey's Anatomy Quotes For All New Graduates

Some Grey's Anatomy quotes for the new college graduates

11298

With the season finale of "Grey's Anatomy" a mere days away and so many graduations occurring in the last few days, I figured instead of writing some sappy love letter to the recent graduates, I would give them some life advice in the form of "Grey's Anatomy" quotes. Because let's be honest, "Grey's" is basically a summary of our college lives. We started as interns and finished as attendings. There was love, loss, tears and smiles along the way, coupled with a significant amount of booze, so basically, it was a season… or four… of "Grey’s Anatomy." With that being said, I have to say that through one of our most beloved TV shows we can learn a lot of life lessons. So to the class of 2016, here are 15 quotes I hope that you take with you into the real world, and again, congratulations, drink up.

1. "Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We’re supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family, happy to just be alive… whether we like it or not." - Meredith Grey

I hope that through whatever comes next, no matter what, you find your happiness. I hope you embrace how amazing it is to be alive, to be pursuing your dreams and to have people around you that want you to be amazing. You deserve to be happy, you deserve to smile, and you deserve to have a kick ass time along the way. So appreciate every moment, and be grateful for the ups and downs because they will make it all worthwhile.

2. "Whenever we think we know the future, even for a second, it changes. Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely, and we’re left only with the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it, to stand there trembling, not moving, assuming the worst that can happen, or we step forward into the unknown and assume it will be brilliant." – Cristina Yang

As much as we would all love to have our future planned out, the reality is, it's not something we can control. So don't be scared, but be excited to make something out of whatever chaos comes next. You've done the hard part, you've earned your degree, now its time to have some fun and enjoy the roller coaster ride that is the real world. Yes, maybe the worst might happen, but maybe, just maybe, if you follow your deepest desires and passions, you might just get everything you've ever wanted.

3. "Friends are the family we choose." - Meredith Grey

As life goes on, I hope you surround yourself with people that make it fun. Simply put, find your people, love your people, protect your people, and never let them go.

4. "We all think we’re going to be great. And we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren’t met. But, sometimes, our expectations sell us short. Sometimes, the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected."

When you're going after the things you thought you always wanted, the reality is, they may not all happen. Don't stop, don't quit, embrace the unexpected and where it takes you. The dreams that come true may end up being the dreams you never knew you had. No matter what comes over the next few months, whether you get the dream job or find yourself back on mom and dad's couch, it doesn't mean you're a failure or anything like that, it simply means life is giving you a new path. Embrace it, experience it, and roll with it.

5. "What’s broken can be mended. What’s hurt can be healed. That no matter how dark it gets, the suns going to rise again." - Meredith Grey

Obstacles will happen, tragedies will come your way, just know that no matter how bad things get, they will get better. You just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually it will all come back around. You'll find yourself in the sunlight and the happiness, and you'll look back on the dark parts and realize how much they were truly worth it.

6. "Life is not a spectator sport. Win, lose or draw, the game is in progress, whether we want it to be, or not. So, go ahead, argue with the refs, change the rules… cheat a little, take a break… and tend to your wounds. But play. Play. Play hard. Play fast. Play loose and free. Play as if there’s no tomorrow." - Meredith Grey

Have fun. If there's one thing that "Grey's Anatomy" always taught us, it was have fun. This is a journey, it's supposed to be messy and chaotic and unpredictable, but it should always have an element of fun. Go after all your dreams, drink on a Thursday, don't put your clothes away and live as if there is no tomorrow. Challenge everything and love every minute of this. This is your life, this is your time, play the game, and play it your way.

7. "You don’t have to be tough every minute of every day, it's okay to let down your guard."

- Meredith Grey

Contrary to what society will begin to tell you, it's okay to break down. It's okay to cry a few tears, scream into a pillow, and then drink an entire bottle of wine. This part of life is confusing and stressful, and it challenges you at every turn. You don't have to pretend you have it all together, because let's be honest, none of us do. Get through your work day, go home, put on your most comfiest pajamas, pour a glass of wine or something stronger, and lose it, it's okay (for references please refer to Alex Karev).

8. "The carousel never stops turning." - Ellis Grey

No matter what obstacles you face, no matter the highs or low that come, just know you will wake up tomorrow and the world will still be moving. The world continues on, and the carousel keeps moving. So just embrace the never ending ride.

9. "If there’s just one piece of advice I can give you, it’s this - when there’s something you really want, fight for it, don’t ever give up no matter how hopeless it seems. And when you’ve lost hope, ask yourself if in 10 years from now, you’re gonna wish you gave it just one more shot. Because the best things in life, they don’t come free." - Meredith Grey

Whatever your passion, whatever ignites your soul, and makes your heart skip a beat, go after it. There are going to be a million people who want to tell you what you can and can't do, and a hundred people who want to stand in your way. Don't give up, keep fighting, and constantly remind yourself that one day, you're going to look back and know that every moment of struggle was worth that one moment of greatness.

10. "We’re all susceptible to it. The dread and anxiety of not knowing what’s coming. It’s pointless in the end. Because all the worrying, and all the making of plans for things that could, or could not happen, it only makes things worse. So walk your dog. Or take a nap. Just, whatever you do, stop worrying. Because the only cure for paranoia, is to be… here… just as you are.” - Meredith Grey

Be who you are. Just as our favorite characters have, be exactly who you are, and do what you love to do. What's coming will come and until then have some fun along the way.

11. "Failure is inevitable, unavoidable but failure should never get the last word. You have to hold on to what you want. You have to not take no for an answer and take what’s coming to you. Never give in, never give up. Stand up. Stand up and take it." - Meredith Grey

I hope you fail, and I hope its epic. But with that failure, I hope you ignite your passion and decide how badly you want to fight for whatever your love is. Just because you fail doesn't mean you lose, it simply means you get to start over again, a little bit smarter. Keep moving, keep walking, and NEVER.GIVE.UP.

12. "Sometimes, the key to making progress is to recognize how to take that very first step. Then you start your journey. You hope for the best and you stick with it, day in and day out. Even if you’re tired, even if you want to walk away. You don’t. Because you are a pioneer. But nobody ever said it’d be easy." - Meredith Grey

You graduated, you did the hard part. Now, just take a step forward. Just start a journey to what your ultimate dream is. It won't be easy, but if you just keep pushing, just keep moving, and just keep laughing, you will get there. You're on your way, so just smile, cross your fingers, and know whats meant to be will be.

13. "Even the biggest failure, even the worst, beats the hell out of never trying."

- Meredith Grey

The biggest regret you will ever have is not going after what you want. So yes, maybe you'll fail, maybe it won't happen for you, but let me tell you this, what's worse than failing is never giving it your best shot. So try, and give it all you've got, and if it doesn't work, at least you'll always know you gave it your best.

14. "Cause you never think that last time is the last time. You think you have forever but you don’t." - Meredith Grey

Tell the people you love them that you love them. Enjoy the moments that are in front of you. Embrace the laughs and the tears as they come. And most importantly as Meredith Grey would say: you always have time for a drink with friends.

15. "Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature." - Cristina Yang

No matter what, be incredible. Believe in all you are, all you have overcome and all you can accomplish. Go after the world with guns blazing, and have no regrets. This is your time, it's your world, it's up to you to take what's yours. So, go on, go after your passions, go after your dreams and keep being brilliant.

Meredith Grey, along with various other quotes said "pick me, choose me, love me." So pick yourself, love yourself, and choose yourself. Make the most out of what is coming your way, and embrace the chaos of the journey that is happening in this thing we call "the real world." This is your time, so choose to do what's best for you and make the most for you. At the end, this is the life that you make it. So, class of 2016, go get it, go take on the world, and have a few shots of tequila along the way. Good luck, and as "Grey's Anatomy" has told us over and over "Be extraordinary."