Baylor Professor Equates LGBTQ And Women's Rights To 'Barbarianism'

To The Baylor Professor Equating LGBTQ And Women's Rights To 'Barbarianism,' Keep That Out Of The Classroom

Unless someone asks for your political opinion, don't talk about it. It's simple courtesy.

429

Politics are a touchy subject. They're a notoriously banned conversation topic at family reunions, Thanksgiving dinners, first dates, meeting the in-laws... the list goes on.

Understandably, people will have a certain preference to a political party that defines their stance on certain issues in politics. The bottom line is that it's important to have political discussion without enmity across party lines.

The moment we demonize the opposing party is the moment we all fail as a society and stay stagnant in our pursuit of a progressive nation.

Unless someone asks for my political opinion, I won't talk about it. It's simple courtesy. Therefore, you can imagine my shock when my professor outwardly expressed his far-right, offensive political opinions in an obviously diverse classroom.

As I was sitting in my economics lecture listening to my professor explain Natural Law, I realized something sinister developing. On the board, he had graphed a downwards curved line representing the evolution of society as it approaches "Neo-Barbarianism."

Upon the line, he plotted points at which the line began to slope downwards, signifying the causes of the deterioration of society:

Akanksha Tyagi

What shocked me to my core was the fact that in his mind, revolutionary Supreme Court decisions like Roe v. Wade and Obergfell v. Hodges that granted people civil rights were something "barbaric."

These were the points he plotted on the curve, proclaiming that society had been damned with Supreme Court decisions that showed complete disregard for Christianity and its values our nation was founded on.

I was in disbelief that an environment as innocent as a classroom was used as a vehicle to spread political agenda and offensive ideology justified by religion:

"Homosexuality is a sin. It says so in the Bible. It's impure."

"Gay has become the new black."

"No matter what society thinks is right, it is a lie. The only truth you know to be true is your Bible, so hold onto that."

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a pretty face, but she's really not that smart. Does she have a dad? Someone needs to put that girl in her place."

How can anyone sit through a lecture where their professor is freely offensive in every way?

Politics are something to be kept especially separate from professional environments, and this is exactly why. A classroom is no less an inappropriate environment to discuss politics than a job interview. Young minds are highly impressionable, so for such strong political ideology to be broadcast with a religious appeal is highly inappropriate.