6 Reasons Seeing A Baylor Basketball Game In The Flesh Is So Worth It

You should go to a Baylor basketball game this year.

304
Baylor Basketball / Instagram

1. Home court advantage

Basketball is a sport very susceptible to the fan’s influence. Scott Drew has been saying it all year: fans influence outcomes. Over the last 3 seasons in the NBA, the home team has won 58.19% of their games. Think about it. That's a big number. Fans in the stands inspire the players to play hard and give more effort than they knew they had. The crowd also gives the referees a little more incentive to help the Bears out down the stretch.

2. Terry Maston’s pregame routine

The 6'8" senior forward has been awarded the nickname “Scary Terry” among the Bear Pit for a reason. He's an absolute menace when on the court and coming off the bench to provide the team with some energy and fresh legs. However, his pregame dance moves are even more intimidating. The big man can move in a way that's nearly indescribable, so I won't do him an injustice of going into details. Just keep your eyes open for number 31 before tip off, and enjoy the show.

3. The Women’s team

Baylor’s women's athletics programs remain to be a bright spot for the school, and the basketball team is no exception. The Lady Bears are consistently one of the best of the school's teams and exert sheer dominance over everyone they play. Kim Mulkey’s team is showing its usual brilliance and has a genuine shot at winning the NCAA tournament this year. Going to a women's game may mean witnessing a historic team.

4. The Big 12

This year, like many other years, the Big 12 is one of the best basketball conferences in the country. No matter what remaining game you go to, you're virtually guaranteed to see at least one future NBA player. For example, Oklahoma’s freshman sensation, Trae Young, has been breaking records all year and is a front-runner for NCAA player of the year. Iowa State’s freshman, Lindell Wigginton, was heavily recruited by Baylor and was expected to commit to becoming a Bear before signing with the Cyclones. Kansas has a slur of talent predicted to make it in the NBA, including Devonte Graham, Lagerald Vick, and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (good luck pronouncing that!). Virtually every remaining home game has some sort of NBA talent worth witnessing.

5. Foam Hat Hayden

Some know him as the leader of the Bear Pit, Baylor's student section, and others just know him as the guy who wears the big green cowboy hat to every game. Either way, Foam Hat Hayden has become a Baylor legend by attending every game and leading all the rowdy fans in their organized chants all game. This is Hayden’s last year in the pit as he’s due to graduate in May, so stop by, introduce yourself, and get a "Sic' Em" picture.

6. Free stuff

Every Baylor student’s favorite “F” word: Free. And that's exactly what is provided at every game. If the free entertainment (for students) isn't enough, every game is full of opportunities to walk out with something. There are t-shirt tosses, pizza giveaways, opportunities to get BOGO Box combos at Cane's, and free Gut Packs at Vitek's.