Why You Should Know A Band Called The Maine

No, not the northeastern state.

709
http://i2.cdn.turner.com

The Maine is an alternative music group ironically from the Midwestern state of Arizona, or, as they sometimes like to call themselves the “Arizona emo group.” The band consists of John O’Callaghan as the lead singer, Patrick Kirch on the drums, Garrett Nickelsen on bass, and both Jared Monaco and Kennedy Brock playing guitar. They started their band while still in high school and just this year celebrated nine years of being together. Over that span of time they have released multiple EPs and five full albums. While the group may not be releasing singles on the radio, here are a few reasons why you should get to know a band called The Maine.

1. Each album is different from the next

Because the Maine have so many different full length albums as well as EPs they have experimented with a wide variety of styles and sounds. However this band does a tremendous job at composing an album that flows from song to song without feeling like anything is out of place. That being said, the songs that make up an album are completely unique from each other which makes listening that much better.

2. Every band member is unique

It is extremely cool to get to see five individuals and their personalities separately but at the same time come together and play as a band. For example, Kennedy is really into drawing and art while Pat loves his miscellaneous sock collection almost as much as his niece and nephew. Garrett is usually up to something extremely random while Jared just recently spent the summer “campaigning” to be the next President. And then there’s John who loves writing beautiful poems but at the same time blurts out whatever comes to mind.

3. Their lyrics are meaningful

OK, yes, when this band first started out, their songs didn’t necessarily have the most meaning to them but they have come a very long way. Over time, The Maine’s songs have transformed from just catchy tunes to some of the most significant content I have heard. The last two full length albums contain songs that deal with important topics such as depression, being different, and society’s views.

4. They aren't afraid to interact with their fans

One of the best parts about The Maine is how close they are to their fans. All of the members have Twitter and Instagram accounts (as well as the band itself) and use them consistently. Pat is almost always on Twitter retweeting and answering fans while The Maine accounts repost artwork and other various fan made objects. Besides social media, the band also likes to allow a few lucky fans to come on stage and join along in singing.

5. The band isn't tied down by a major record label

This may seem insignificant, but when some bands sign to a record label they are pressured to maintain a certain sound or style. The Maine have not been signed to a major record label for at least their last two full length albums which has allowed them to write and create the music they actually want to. It takes a lot of guts to put out music without the help of a record label but it has proven to work for The Maine.

6. Their merch happens to be adorable

In comparison to other bands, The Maine seems to have a unique take on merchandise. Each t-shirt is completely different from the next and they also sell various accessories that are cute but also untraditional. Over the summer they released a red hat with the slogan reading “Make America Emo Again” mocking the similar Donald Trump hat. I happen to have a necklace with The Maine symbol as well as a baseball cap with The Maine flag on it and I love both

7. They are down to Earth

Although The Maine has been a band for almost 10 years now, they have not let the fame go their head. This entire summer they set up free meet and greets for their fans on the Vans Warped Tour with the slogan “why would you pay money to meet human beings?” Also within the past week The Maine allowed extra tickets to be added to a show after they discovered that scalpers were trying to sell the original $25 tickets for $500.

8. This band keeps getting better

The Maine started off as a very typical pop punk sounding group but over time has developed into a more complex band. Earlier songs proved to be catchy singles that people could easily recognize and sing along to. However, with their most recent album, American Candy, The Maine’s sound has progressed to a mix of punk, rock, and alternative sounds. And as mentioned earlier the lyrical content has also blossomed into something beautiful. If you listened to each of their albums in order it would be easy to see how much better they have become over time.

9. Each individual is downright hysterical

Whether it be videos from tour, random interviews, or snapchat updates the members of The Maine have a great sense of humor. John O’Callaghan is known for posting the most ridiculous hashtags on all of his Instagram photos including things such as #warmmilk and #snapdaddy. Kennedy hosts a show on snapchat appropriately titled “Arts and Farts and Crafts” while Pat’s spontaneous snaps using random filters are always funny. As for Garrett and Jared, they tend to post about anything and everything which ends up with me liking so many random tweets.

10. The group just finished Warped Tour and are making a new album

The Maine spent a majority of this summer playing on the 2016 Vans Warped Tour and meeting fans from all over the country. While Warped Tour has just ended the Maine don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. The band has confirmed that they will go into the studio and start working on their next album in the near future. In recent interviews the band explains that they are ecstatic about making new music and can't wait to see what is next for them.