The Baker’s Dozen: Tips for Surviving Your First Semester Of College

College can be an awkward time of transitioning. Hopefully these tips and tricks will help you navigate this new adventure like a pro.

1
My good friend Caroline Kenning.

With the back to school season fast approaching, I remember how I felt before my first semester of college started and some of the advice I wish I had been given before starting on this new adventure.

1. Don’t forget to call your parents every once in a while.

It might be nice to hear a familiar voice and they will appreciate hearing from you.

2. Join an activity or club you may not have thought about joining.

You may end up finding your new favorite hobby and some new friends too.

3. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

If you have a cold you would go to the doctor and get help; it is not uncommon for depression or anxiety to set in in college and sometimes therapy and medication can help. Talk to your parents and friends. They want you to succeed and you may even find out that they’ve been feeling the same way too.

4. This may be the most important piece of advice I can give you is to, BE A NICE PERSON.

College can be a difficult time of transitioning and everyone may be struggling a little bit. Even a kind smile can make someone’s day so please BE NICE.

5. Don’t be afraid to talk to your professor.

Most professors have office hours so that students can come in and discuss questions or issues. Just remember that professors are human beings with feelings, not robots.

6. Talk to the people in your classes.

Because when you are sick and don’t know what the lecture was about in Anatomy you will be very grateful to be friends with the girl that happens to take the best notes.

7. If you are a freshman and have a car, you may be asked to drive people around from time to time.

It may get a little annoying, but it can also lead to some really fun nights and amazing adventures.

8. Don’t forget about your friends that go to other colleges.

Life can become pretty hectic, and sometimes a quick text to a friend can make their day.

9. People always appreciate thank you notes.

When you need a killer letter of recommendation a professor may be more inclined to do so because they remember the kind words you had for them at the end of the semester.

10. As someone once said, 80% of life is just showing up.

It will be tempting to sleep in or blow off class, but college life (and grades) will be better if you can make it to the classroom. This is pretty self-explanatory but equally important.

11. There will always be another party, but it may be hard to retake a class so do yourself a favor and study now.

You can always party later, but also know when to take a break and treat your self.

12. Social media can depict a very different portrayal of someone’s college experience.

Didn’t your parents ever teach you not to believe everything you see on the internet?

My final tip: College may not be the best time of your life, but it is a life experience.

Good or bad, you will come away with memorable days and nights. Just know that you are never alone.