back to school

5 Things On Campus That Make You Think 'Back To Hell' Instead Of 'Back To School'

What it's really like being back on campus...

66

Now that basically everyone is back to school, there are endless posts and comments about being excited about the new year or even dread about homework already. A nice mix of emotions. Well, I was, and guess still am, excited overall, but after being on campus ONE DAY I have already come across some of the top pet peeves that I had conveniently forgotten over summer break.

Some of these things are out of anyone's control really, but I still feel they are valid emotions and should be addressed. Just putting it out there as a way to tell anyone else who feels this way, that you're not alone in your exasperation.

And just in case you are in some way involved or connected with the 5 things mentioned below…please stop.

1. The heat

I don't know if it is because my school is a 4-hour drive downstate from my hometown in Northern MI, or if I just need to get used to walking to classes again, but damn is it hot! It is SEPTEMBER. If my summer is over, shouldn't the intense heat be too?

2. Foot traffic

Of course. One of the many joys of a college campus is walking to class. If only people knew how to walk in public. AKA: share the sidewalk, walk on only one side of the path, not be staring at their phone like it is a real-time GPS that is guiding them. You don't have to make eye contact or anything. just be aware of other people who also have to walk here.

3. Crossing the road

I know the continuous joke for college students is that if they get hit by a car that their tuition will be paid for. But come on guys. It's meant to be a joke…I swear that either students have just given up on caring about their existence, or they are just that entitled. I get that there are areas where cars are meant to stop for pedestrians. But where there is a button to signal that for the giant vehicles, you probably should. Big car = higher priority.

4. Group work

Cause when I decided to go to college and get a degree, I know I wanted it to depend on squeezing in time with other random students for a group project that no one wants to do. Too harsh? I mean, I understand in-class small group work and stuff like that. But, why do professors go out of their way to make responses and such into group work? Can they please think back on their own experiences and pity us? I know it will help later in life for some careers, but even in those scenarios, it would be a GPS project that ACTUALLY NEEDS multiple people.

5. Participation

Yes, this is important for learning and understanding the class, but why is it graded?! Or why is it such a high percentage of the class and its structure? I usually hate speaking in class. I can do small groups, but I hate any form of presenting and/or being the center of attention in a classroom. It doesn't matter if it is for a second or an hour. Let's go back to the pity thing. I'm just asking for some mercy here. That's all.

Some of these things may seem petty. (More accurately, ALL of these things ARE pretty petty.) But, they are still things that can make life seem a bit harder than it has to be. Sure, there are ways to get through them, or even just push through the pain/annoyance, but I think that putting this out there is a way to process them so that they don't cause bigger issues later on.

No, an article or a list won't change the weather or necessarily cause people to change their minds about things. But, it is a step and it is an outlet. I will say that students becoming a little more aware of themselves and others can make some of these pet peeves lessen…

Regardless, even if these issues remain the entire year. We can get through this and best of luck to you this semester and year!