5 Ways 'The Bachelor' Franchise Is A Disgrace To True Romance

This show has been and will likely always be a disgrace to romance.

69
YouTube

Long known for their twisted play at romance the Bachelor and Bachelorette have both participated in a long-standing reputation of failed and overly dramatic relationships that either carry over into the next season or set the stage for the next guy or gal that comes along at the end of loves string searching for that last hope at romance. Despite an evident history of the relationships in the end not lasting, the show still seems to maintain the time span and adventures the contestants go through in order to reach a decision. In comparison to real life, I thought it would be interesting to take a dive into 5 reasons why the bachelor shouldn't be imitated or looked at for any real relationship advice. So let's dive right in.

1. Timing, Timing, Timing.

It's all about time, with just 2 months to film the show, and about 20 suitors to pick from it's is absolutely impossible to see anyone's true colors no matter how great they may seem, in time for a decent relationship, and even worse a marriage proposal. In real life, 2 months is still very much the honeymoon phase. And yes I know for the cynics many will argue that in the past it has been done. However my friends quite frankly it is 2018 and no one is that upfront that quick, not to mention these days it takes time to trust. Additionally, the sought-after individual gets minimal time with the contestants thus decreasing the amount of time they get to really know them, therefore by the next time He/She sees that individual again its kind of like starting back at square one. So like they say in the stunt films " Don't try this at home kids" because you never know who they'll be once the infatuation wears off.

2. Not Everyone Loves You

Like everyone has probably been told at some point (at least I hope) not everyone will love you, feel the same way about you, or share an interest in you as strongly as others may do. Thus the set up of the show is a pawn for making up extra episodes right off the bat. Not only is it rare that every one of the 20 competitors would like you but its also extremely rare that most of them would fall in love with you that quickly, I mean two months, come on no girl or guy when competing with others is going to fully care about you that way if there's competition. So if it's not evident enough every time the words " I'm already falling in love with you" slips out, my amazing gag reflexes kick in, and an awkwardness fills the room. I don't know about you ladies and gentlemen, but would you believe someone if you only sat with them 1 on 1, 3-4 times, and they told you they were already in love?... I think not. Most of us would be shocked if not a slightly creeped out.

3. Time Tells, and Breaks Shells

For some people, being who you truly are takes time. And although many of these guys are bold enough to be a televised contestant, it still takes a lot to open up on camera and be as down to earth as you would like to be. With pressures from producers and the bachelor or bachelorette themselves, for the contestants to say certain things, doesn't set the tone for an open and honest conversation. It rather creates a counter effect and forces participants to maintain a stereotypical personality to maintain a spot on the show. In juxtaposition to real life dating, going on several dates with one or two individuals gives you more time and sets a less stressful environment for the suitor to get to know the new fish in the sea, thus you get their true personality and not some overly lovey-dovey man or woman who's obviously just putting on a show .

4. No Bad Habits On Screen? Don't Forget they're not yet seen.

Like every individual in the world, the contestants and the suitor each have their own flaws. Who isn't super messy or cranky in the morning, may probably have other personal issues big or small. or like we saw in this current season of the bachelorette, some people may even have major anger issues. With the suitor and contestants living apart and only seeing each other on small and few occasions, it is impossible for the suitor and contestant to know if they are truly compatible. In the normal dating world, once you have found a person to build a relationship with, you usually hang out for long duration's of time and spends a lot of time together giving you a glimpse of how compatible your lifestyles and habits are. With the suitor not being in the house with their contestants, its easy to get caught up in the overly romantic dates and excitement, that you can tell they almost always forget to ask about pet-peeves, personal preferences, or even observes habits. What would truly make the show authentic, and maybe the relationships last is if they lived in the house together, sort of big brother style, just with a little more class.

5. Locations Matter.

Most of the dates that the contestants and their suitor go on seem too grand or upscale, to make the show seem fancier than it truly is. What would be better is if the contestants chose the location so that it shows insight into what their interests are? Thus making dates look more authentic and less like a Hollywood movie.