To My Baby Brother Going Off To University

You've grown up too fast.

22
Louise Howorth

To my dear baby brother,

You have just moved into university and are about to go through those first few tough weeks. I know you are scared and intimidated and I know you want to deny both of those things.

The thought of you not enjoying it or someone being mean to you kills me. So I will try and prepare you. You'll have awkward encounters, you'll miss home like you never thought you would but you will also have so much fun and make lifelong friends. You won't make your best friends at the beginning, but you will find them. Time will fly so make sure that you seize every opportunity you can. Say yes to everything, particularly new things.

Keep an open mind: you can't judge people at university, everyone is trying to do their own thing. It'll be the biggest, most random mix of people you'll ever meet.

Napping is essential but also stay on top of your work.

Bond with professors, they're great people and you'll never know when you might need something from them. Go to class, it's the easiest way to learn.

You will feel homesick, embrace it. We come from a wonderful home and have amazing parents, they are certainly worth missing. Visit them when you can: I wish I could more. We are all so proud of you and know you will do amazing things.

I wish more than anything I could have been there to move you in, but this is your life and your next chapter. As much as I hate to admit it, you don't need me anymore but I do hope you want me still. I will edit your papers, I will be awake to tell you how to stop feeling nauseous and I won't judge you about nights out gone astray. I'm your biggest fan.

Lots of love,

Your big sister