7 Awkward Realities Of Being A College Freshman

There really isn't any way to avoid to the awkward reality of being a freshman and everything that comes with it.

114

When making the transition from High School to College, it seems like everyone and their cousin has all of these great things to say about College Life. Most of the time, people always talk about how magical and perfect it is.

But, let me tell you now, it's all complete and utter bullshit. College isn't this perfect, little universe where everything always turns out amazing or goes the way you want. Everything has a learning curve and College isn't an exception.

So, I decided to compile a list of 7 awkward situations that one of my friends or I have already experienced as a freshman to bring light to the fact that College is kinda hard at first but you're not the only one riding the struggle bus to your 8 am classes.

1. Eating alone at the dining hall

This is something that is 100% unavoidable your Freshman year of college, especially in the first couple of weeks. Not everyone you meet or start forming friendships with is going to be on a similar schedule as you, so odds are, you're most likely going to have to eat alone at some point.

It can seem terrifying walking into a crowded dining hall during the dinner rush and not having anyone with you but take a chance and introduce yourself to someone new. You never know who you'll might meet or who might become your new closet friend.

2. Getting lost all the time

c1.staticflickr.com

Honestly, it can get pretty tough navigating around campus your first few weeks.

Especially if you're anything like me, being directionally-challenged and having decided to go to a college where most of the buildings look pretty similar. It definitely can take some time to get used to the layout of the campus and figure out where exactly your classrooms are in the building.

3. Sitting down in the wrong classroom

Now, honestly, this is probably one of the biggest fears I had my first day of college. Just the thought of realizing that I'm in the wrong classroom gives me a little anxiety so I'm super thankful that I didn't experience this one first hand. Unfortunately, my roommate found herself in this awkward situation on her first day. But just know, this happens to everybody at some point in their life and you shouldn't really stress yourself out about it.

4. Sharing a bathroom

Now, I really don't consider this to be really awkward per say, it's just more of a hassle. I've always shared a bathroom with my younger sister but splitting one bathroom between four girls can be interesting. Thankfully, I just have to share a bathroom with my just suite-mates instead of my entire hall.

5. Forgetting someone's name

This can be EXTREMELY awkward when you see one of your hall mates or a someone you met the other day around campus but you honestly can't remember their name. It gets even worse once you start having a conversation with them and it's completely obvious to them that you don't really remember them.

6. Locking yourself out of your room

Yep, that's right. The "Oh Shit I forgot my keys" moment happens more than you would like. I've only been here for a week and I've already walked out of my door without my keys, Cougar Card, and/or my phone. It's always a pretty awkward time having to call one of your roommates to let you into your dorm or building.

7. Recognizing someone from social media 

This might not be awkward to most people, but for me, it's super awkward to recognize someone who you follow on Instagram or Snapchat but haven't met them in person, especially if you have a streak with them.

It always starts with the weird introductions because you kinda know each other but you really don't at the same time.