11 Awesome Places to Go in NYC (On a Budget)

It's time to cross traveling off your bucket list this new year.

64
Out and About With Kids

Everyone always thinks that you have to travel outside the country to some far away, exotic, foreign country to experience a once-in-a-lifetime experience or to discover timeless treasures, but that's not always the case. Right here, in our beloved city, are plenty of sites just waiting to be discovered. All the sites listed below were handpicked due not only their uniqueness but due to their inexpensive costs. From museums to antique shops, from boat rides to parks, there's something in this list for anyone and everyone that's looking for a different experience this new year.

1. Ellen's Stardust Dinner

Address: 1650 Broadway on the southeast corner of 51st Street in the Theater District.

History: The home of the singing waitstaff is a retro 1950s theme restaurant. The diner has retro-themed memorabilia such as photos, an indoor train, a 1956 Predicta television and even a “drive-in theater” screen that showcases performances of the 1950s. Several of the waitstaff have gone on to perform in Broadway and American Idol. It's a really lively place and you will have the best fun and the best food while reliving a great old era.

Costs: Here's a link to their menu & all the prices of the foods served there.

Hours: Everyday from 7AM to midnight.

Best thing about it: (Hell, everything about this restaurant is just great.) They have JUMBO sandwiches for under $20.

Things to know before you go: There'll be loud music and dancing.

2. BEAST Speedboat Ride: Circle Line Sightseeing

Address: Pier 83, West 42nd Street New York, NY 10036

History: A custom-built, 70-foot speedboat that flies down the Hudson River with lots of twists, turns and splashy action.

Costs: $29 for adults & for senior citizens 65+; $23 for kids ages 3-12.

Hours: Departs from Pier 83 every hour on the hour from 10 AM - 6 PM. Each ride is 30 minutes long.

Best thing about it: It stops within 100 feet of the Statue of Liberty, so you can take some awesome pics.

Things to know before you go: It does tend to get a little crazy, because it is the powered by a speed boat and jet that travels 45 mph and the waters can get a little rough. And you will get wet, so bring waterproof devices if you're going to take pictures and get a wetsuit if you can. Only go if you can really handle it. Currently "hibernating" at the moment; will reopen in May 2017. Here is a list of other things to know before buying tickets.

3. The High Line Park

Address: Runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues.

History: A 1.45-mile-long linear park built on an elevated section of a disused New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line. It was inspired by a similar project done in Paris. Other similar projects in NYC include the Low Line Park which is the first underground park and converting the Queens Railway.

Costs: Free.

Hours: Open everyday from 7AM to 7PM in the Winter, 7AM to 10PM in the Spring and Fall, and 7AM to 11PM in the Summer, except for the Interim Walkway West of 11th Avenue, which is open until dusk.

Best thing about it: Offers tremendous sunset views.

Things to know before you go: There are wheelchair-accessible entrances, each with stairs and an elevator at Gansevoort, 14th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th Streets. Dogs are currently not allowed on the High Line due to the limited area of the pathways and the fragility of the new plantings.

4. Tenement Museum

Address:
97 Orchard Street, Manhattan, New York 10002

History: A five-story brick tenement building that was once home to an estimated 7,000 working class immigrants, from over 20 nations, between 1863 and 1935. Preserves and interprets the history of immigration through the personal experiences of the generations of newcomers who had settled in and built lives on Manhattan's Lower East Side which was America's iconic immigrant neighborhood. Helps to forge an emotional connection between visitors and immigrants from the past and present and really enhances the appreciation for the profound role immigration has played and continues to play in shaping America.

Costs: Tickets are $25 for adults, $20 for students ages 6-17, $20 for college students 18 and up, and $20 for senior citizens ages 65+. There is an extra $5 fee added to your ticket.

Hours: Sat. to Thurs. from 10AM - 6:30PM; Fri. from 10AM - 8:30PM.

Best thing about it: Includes a variety of tours each with a different story and a different experience.

Things to know before you go: Tickets tend to sell out pretty quick. There's also a walking tour where you can explore the neighborhood and gain insight to some more experience.

5. Dream House

Address: 275 Church St. 3rd floor, New York, NY. Look for the little black door with a cryptic white sign that reads THE DREAM HOUSE; easy to miss if you don't look carefully.

History: A trippy, hidden meditative art space created by married couple, Lamonte Young (a composer) and Mariane Zazeela (a visual artist). Arunning light-and-sound installation that's part meditation room and part art installation. You can sit around, meditate, chat, lay around, relax at this out-of-this-world experience.

Costs: Free with an optional charitable donation of $5.

Hours: Wed. to Sat. from 2PM to midnight. Closed from Sun-Tues. Closed during the Summer.

Best thing about it: There's a pizza place and bar directly downstairs where you can chat with other visitors about your experience.

Things to know before you go: Don't go if you have a problem with bright colors and lights, have sensitive hearing or are bothered by the smell of incense. Easy to lose track of time.

6. Mmuseumm

Address: 4Cortlandt Alley between Franklin Street and White Street in a former elevator shaft. Second version is three doors down.

History: A modern natural history museum located in an abandoned freight elevator shaft and filled with contemporary artifacts. The Mmuseumm specializes in the “overlooked, dismissed, or ignored" and offers a unique opportunity to engage with familiar and exotic everyday objects from around the world. You can find literally the weirdest and craziest things here — from the currency of ISIS to Donald Trump's cologne; some personal items left behind by immigrants in the Arizona Desert as they were crossing borders to items made by prisoners. The world's tiniest museum was created by a couple of filmmakers and is sponsored by Kate Spade (yes, the Kate Spade, along with a few other family members).

Costs: Pay as you wish with a $5 suggested donation for regular admission.

Hours: Only opened on the weekend from 12PM - 6PM.

Best thing about it: They have a variety of exhibits, so there are always new things available with each visit.

Things to know before you go: Can only fit three people at a time. It's down an alley and even if it's closed, you can still peer through the steel doors for a look.

7. Paley Park

Address: 3 East 53rd Street between Madison and Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.

History: A pocket park with a quiet urban oasis. It's like your typical park with an extra feat added to it - a waterfall that creates a backdrop of grey noise to mask the sounds of the city. A nice, peaceful place to relax and enjoy a nice day out.

Costs: Free.

Hours: Open 24/7.

Best thing about it: It's open all the time and the waterfall also never stops.

Things to know before you go: There is a wheelchair ramp positioned on either side of the four steps that lead into the park.

8. Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital Ruins

Address: The southern end ofRoosevelt Island.

History: A three-story, U-shaped Neo-Gothic building that was once a hospital and a school that closed down a century after it first opened. People that had been infected with smallpox were sent here to this 100-bed hospital where 7,000 patients were treated annually. It is said to be haunted by the 13,500 deaths that took place there over the span of three decades.

Costs: The area is free to explore, but taking the tram is the best way to get to Roosevelt island and that does come with a few fees. It is payable with a MTA Metrocard and only a 3 minute ride, but with some spectacular sights.

Hours: A self-guided tour, so I'm not sure about the hours (please don't go at night though, not if you value your life).

Best thing about it: Now owned by an army of felines (not kidding about this one — the cats were once troublesome, but now local officials have created a cat sanctuary for them where they are fed and taken care of daily).

Things to know before you go: You can't actually go inside, since it's fenced off and most of the floors are broken, but you can take some awesome pics from the outside and walk all around the area. Might be torn down soon, so you better get going while you've still got the chance!

9. Obscura Antiques and Oddities

Address: 207 Avenue A, New York, NY 10009

History: An antique store where you can find an astonishing variety of medical antiques, turn-of-the-century taxidermy, memorial photographs, medical art prints, prosthetic limbs, victorian mourning jewelry, magic lantern slides, collections of pinned insects, two headed fetal pigs, a jar of worms, corsets, top hats, and more.

Costs: Prices on antique oddities can range from $10 to $4500, but it's all free to look at. You can check out their online shop which has oddities and merchandise up for sale.

Hours: Mon. to Sun. 12PM - 8PM.

Best thing about it: They've got their own TV show called "Oddities" on the Discovery Channel and the Science Channel where you can learn more about the shop and all the oddities.

Things to know before you go: Very small building with limited space, since all the oddities take up a lot of the area.

10. The SeaGlass Carousel

Address: State St & Water St, New York, NY 10004

History: A fish-theme carousel that plays classical music as you "swim" along. The fish all spin independently and even swirl around each other, so there's an unlimited view. It's part of the Battery Conservancy, which is a program that finds different ways to make the Battery a fun place to be and enjoy.

Costs: $5 ticket bought on-site.

Hours: Sun. to Fri. from 11AM to 7PM and Sat. from 10 AM to 8PM.

Best thing about it: There's a changing LED light display that makes you feel like you’re really underwater, and each fish contains their own speakers that play aquatic sounds and music specifically composed for that ride.

Things to know before you go: Children 12 months and under ride for free. Kids that are under 42 inches have to ride on an adult’s lap and only one kid is allowed per lap.

11. Angel Orensanz Foundation

Address: 172 Norfolk St, New York, NY 10002

History: The oldest surviving synagogue in New York City that has now become a place for some awesome art. After World War II, the Jewish population in the neighborhood dropped and the synagogue shut down in the 20th century. A Spanish sculptor and painter named Angel Orensanz purchased the property in 1986 and restored it, converting it into an art gallery and performance space.

Costs: Free to check out, but if you want to book a venue or make a reservation, you'd have to call and ask them.

Hours: Open all the time.

Best thing about it: A lot of famous things happened here like Sarah Jessica Parker's marriage to Matthew Broderick in 1997 and the filming of Avril Lavigne's music video for "Losing Grip".

Things to know before you go: The museum is located on the third and fourth floor.

Well, there you have it, 11 awesome places to visit in the city that you might not have known about before, but do now. Every site will give you a different experience. Atlas Obscura is a site that allows people to add or read about the world's hidden wonders and where I found most of these sites. If you're curious about more wonderful, hidden or underrated sites around New York City or anywhere in the world for that matter, you should definitely check out this site.