‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Being Put On Netflix Is Sort Of The Best Thing That Has Happened To Me In 2020

And by "sort of" I mean "the absolute best."

19

My nerd is about to show. Just a warning. Do you guys want to hear about the greatest television show of all time? Let me introduce you. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a show I have watched literally since kindergarten. I can't even explain the nostalgia and joy this show brings me. I have such a deep connection to this show and when I found out I would be able to watch it literally anytime I want on Netflix (other than the random occasions it was on TV, or on illegal streaming sites #sorrynotsorry), I was SO HAPPY! As a show that I grew up with, I knew I was in for the time of my life. I now know what my summer plans will be like. Even if there are not any new seasons, as of 2008, I could rewatch it over and over without getting tired of it at all.

This show covers everything.

Animal cruelty, censorship, sexism, disability, refugee life, classism, courage, overcoming fear, making selfless decisions, and so much more. Not to mention one of the greatest character arcs on television. If you don't know what the show is about, in essence, the Avatar (one who can bend all four elements) teams up with two siblings from the Southern Water Tribe (one a water bender) and eventually a young, blind earthbender, to travel across the four regions of the world to get assistance in mastering all four elements. They are chased down by a ruthless prince from the Fire Nation (and his relaxed, wise uncle) who needs to capture the Avatar to bring him back to his father, the Fire Lord, in order to restore his honor. By the end of the summer, there is a Comet that will come close enough to the earth that it would make the fire benders more powerful, allowing them to basically take over the world, so the team needs a way to stop them. Essentially, Aang, the Avatar is the only one who can save the world, even if he is just a kid. That was a very, very watered down telling, but it's a lot to fit in.

Just take my word for it and WATCH IT.

I cannot stress enough how much you will not regret it. If you love goofy (kind of outdated) humor with a strong plotline to follow, intricate backstories, and the most lovable and relatable characters, you will really enjoy Avatar. It is so original and it's hard not to fall in love with it. If it can keep me hooked for around fifteen years, it can reel anybody in.

This show has had a pretty large impact on my life. Aside from the general good feelings I get watching Avatar, it somehow shaped who I am today, at least in the sense of my interests. My favorite character in the show has always been Toph. She is a blind earthbender and I always imagined myself being one, making rocks fly and splitting the ground. (Bear with me, I was like ten and I know you wanted to be a bender, too.) She is also the reason my favorite color is green. I've always sort of been one to take on the interest of the characters in shows, books, or movies I was interested in, but this one actually stuck. Not that I'm complaining, because green is literally such a beautiful color, but that's just how cool I thought she was. Since I was really young and impressionable when I started watching it, I feel like it helped me learn what it meant to be selfless, serve others, look for the best in people without ignoring the bad, and fight for what you know is right.

The show has just been a safe haven for me for so long. I can always turn to it to get in touch with my past or get my mind off things. It helps take me back to times when I was vulnerable and needed a pick-me-up. The fact that I'll be able to see it whenever I want makes 2020 just a little more bearable. It was the push I needed to have something to look forward to and have some me time. In short, if you need me for the rest of the summer, you know where to find me: curled up in my bed with my laptop playing a show about bending the elements and saving the world. This is honestly the best thing that has happened to me all year. There is no bluffing there at all.

In conclusion, watch Avatar: The Last Airbender if you want a good time.