Can A Person Find Authentic Love When Social Media Shields Us From Face To Face Communication?

The greatest magic in this world is love.

21

Writing an article on love is cliche and has been done before and will continue to be done until the end of time. I decided to write this article in order to focus on why people may want to get themselves into a relationship and if love can actually withhold all of its meaning, once it enters the threshold of being a solid, long lasting relationship.

At this point in my life, I am only capable of loving someone platonically or as a loved one. I have a hard time expressing my feelings when I like someone, in the fear of rejection as well as pride. And with all the social media platforms that is surrounded when communicating with a person, it is hard to acquaint yourself with a person because he or she would rather speak to you by using SnapChat or Facebook- texting if you are lucky. As a child, I was told by my mother that love is not all about passion or intimate affairs but having an understanding of one another and accepting someone exactly for who they are. I know this belief I have ingrained in me does not hold significant importance.

Nowadays, people are one-hundred percent disposable and everyone is looking for the very best and believes that they are entitled too and should satisfy their desires. Tinder has made dating accessible, anywhere at any time. You could be having a conversation with a genuine person and ignore their presence because the image on your cell phone that has been filtered beyond measure is more eye-catching and pleases your fancy then the actual person, sitting right in front of you. My friend has been through this situation, and when it first happened, my friend felt as though everything she said was meaningless and she could say absolute gibberish and it would not phase him in the very least. Tinder, in my opinion, has changed how people date for the worst. No one has the nerve to talk to anyone.

My father said the first time he met my mother, he had a rush of emotions. And since people were more interactive with one another, the encounters he had with my mother were priceless. He reminisces about how he would make a complete and utter fool of himself, trying to catch the curiosity of my mother. I recall my father telling me that he asked my mother out in the spur of the moment because he could no longer deny his feelings for her. My father’s spur of the moment, grand gesture to my mother reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from the film “ We bought a Zoo.” In the film, the man takes his two children down to a diner, where he first met his wife and looks through the glass at the table where he first spotted his wife. He knew at the first moment he saw her that she would make a great addition to his life and that was the day when his kids, standing side by side with him, became a possibility. He thought to himself she is the prettiest woman I have ever seen. He was so nervous to talk to the woman, let alone enter the diner and profess his desire to get to know her. He made up a mechanism that empowers him to take life by its reins and not pass him by- the 10 seconds of strength. The 10 seconds of strength gives him the embraceable courage to speak his thoughts that he fears and take on proactive actions in nerve wracking situations. By using this tool, he walks up to his future wife and tells her that he has been waiting outside for 10 minutes, figuring out the right words to say to someone so beautiful and seems so kind and has the world at her fingertips. Why would a woman like you ever think of going out with a man like me? She responds quickly, “Why not?” This is the last scene in the film before the final credits. This scene shows that taking chances can pay off in the long run, and you should not let opportunities slip away. I think that social media is taking away authentic interaction with others and chemistry that you can find when looking someone straight in the eye and asking them about what is important to them and their likes and dislikes. It may be terrifying to encounter a person you are fond of, but isn’t thrilling to discover whether the person you like may feel the same way about you or is willing to get to know you because he or she sees something within you that shines through and is uniquely special?

I would love if a guy asked me out with a grand gesture, or I would work up the courage to ask a guy for help on a project, and I’d thank him by buying him a cup of coffee or his favorite candy.

When looking for a romantic relationship, there are a few components that you have to make sure to have on your radar. This may seem idealistic, but with me, I have always searched for a soulmate. The term soulmate to others may seem naive and far-fetched when there are billions of people in this world. It is impossible to find your a person that connects with you so perfectly as the last piece of the puzzle. Here is what I think a relationship with another person romantically should be like and what people should strive to seek. A soulmate is someone that knows you better than you know yourself. It is a person that sees you in a positive light when you can only see the negative aspects of yourself. It is someone that inspires you to be and do your best and never gives up on you. It is someone that you take with throughout your life because you would not know what life would be like without him or her. I aspire to have that kind of connection with a person. It may sound implausible, but I am willing to take the plunge.