Why Audrey Hepburn's Princess Ann In 'Roman Holiday' Is So Relatable
Film

Believe It Or Not, We ALL Can Relate To Princess Ann In 'Roman Holiday'

No matter how optimistic and motivated I am to succeed, there is no denying that at times, a part of me wants to leave everything behind for an eternity of carefree days and everlasting fun.

433

If you're a fan of old movies like I am, you have probably seen, or at least heard of, "Roman Holiday," a classic black-and-white film about a princess, portrayed by Audrey Hepburn, who abandons her royal duties and ends up exploring Rome with newly acquainted companions. Near the beginning of the film, Princess Ann suffers a mental breakdown while listening to an extensive report of her schedule for the next day. After, she uncharacteristically sneaks out of her embassy, flings herself into unknown Roman territory, and ends up on the wildest journey of her life.

Unfortunately, Ann's holiday is far from everlasting; ultimately, she decides to return to the embassy and continue to fulfill her duties as a princess. Her choice to do so isn't one of passion, but of logic and responsibility.

I've watched "Roman Holiday" multiple times, but only recently was I truly able to connect with Princess Ann's experiences. As a freshman in college, it's easy for me to feel overwhelmed by the pressures of classes, newfound independence, and the looming duties of adulthood beyond school. No matter how optimistic and motivated I am to succeed, there is no denying that at times, a part of me wants to leave everything behind for an eternity of carefree days and infinite fun.

This isn't to say that I abhor everything about attending university. I understand that it's a huge privilege for me to be able to receive an education, and I have definitely been enjoying meeting new people and exploring different passions. Still, balance is important; sometimes, as Princess Ann chooses to do, it is completely necessary to take a break. Long stretches of studying and exams can and should be followed by fun nights out with friends or time spent in bed watching a lighthearted movie on Netflix. And conversely, after vacations designated exclusively for relaxation, it's important to get back on track and accept reality.

So, whether you're a student, full-time mom, or nine-to-five employee, it's inevitable to feel pushed to your breaking point once in a while. But most of us, even Princess Ann, choose to commit to our obligations, not only for our own sakes but also for those who depend on us. Nevertheless, don't underestimate the value in taking breaks — after all, life has more to offer than exam grades and work.