Why do so many athletes cheat on their partners?

Why Do Athletes Think They Can 'Play The Field' And Cheat On Their Partners?

Being an athlete doesn't give you the right to cheat.

265

We've seen it in the media too many times before. The big-shot sports star has his infidelity revealed to his partner and the press and, once the news is out and about, an explosive altercation ensues. Take Tristan Thompson and Khloe Kardashian, for example—a mere two days before the birth of their daughter, True, The Daily Mail released footage of Thompson getting frisky with two other women at a hookah lounge.

And that's not even the worst part. Thompson actually blames his cheating behaviors on peer pressure from his fellow athletes! He reportedly told Kardashian that "women were constantly throwing themselves at him, and he felt pressure to not refuse them." He tried to justify his actions by saying that there is an "unspoken rule in the NBA that players hook up with groupies on the road."

So he, a grown adult who should be capable of self-control, is claiming that his teammates on the Cavaliers all but forced him to cheat on his pregnant girlfriend. And it's quite sad that he actually expected that excuse to work.

Not surprisingly, this ideology is just as popular among college athletes as it is among professionals. "We're athletes," they declare, "so women will always want to be with us." And while that's all well and good, it's resisting these temptations while in a monogamous relationship that is always of the utmost importance.

To the cuffed athletes who love to score on and off the field, you need to come down off of your high horses and start thinking of the people you're hurting.

Those girls in the bleachers are sitting out there for you. They are taking the time to cheer you on and support your athletic career, not the promiscuity that you think should come with it. If you want to have casual sex and flex in a different girl's face every night, that's fine, but do that only if you are really, truly single. Your girlfriend shouldn't be wearing the same jersey that you loaned out to one of your hookups a few days earlier. She shouldn't have to worry about you being on the road, wondering what other girls might be all over you when you're celebrating a big win. Do her a favor and call it quits if you really feel the need to see other people, because she'd much rather be broken up with than cheated on.

At the end of the day, you might have won the game, but take a good look in the mirror and you'll see what a loser you really are for being so careless.

SEE ALSO: 12 Fouls Every Girlfriend Of A College Athlete Deals With From The Sidelines

No one is so famous that they are above staying faithful. Your varsity status does not exempt you from being a decent human being and respecting the person you promised your heart to. There is no privilege or accolade on Earth that puts you in a place where cheating is acceptable.

In short, the quarterback needs to know that what his girlfriend doesn't know will come back to hurt her. The point guard needs to start thinking of himself as someone's boyfriend and not as a celebrity worthy of being worshipped. The champions and underdogs of every sports team must be held accountable for their actions just like we all are. When it comes to cheating, it's plain and simple—no one is pardoned based on who they are when it comes to being unfaithful.