5 Humanitarian Opportunities Around Athens

The opportunity to make a difference may be far closer than you think.

17
Athens Area Humane Society on Instagram

Volunteering isn't necessarily the first thing on everyone's (or anyone's, for that matter) priority list. It can be intimidating, time consuming, and just downright boring. Fortunately, the opportunity to give back to your community comes in all shapes and sizes, and there are a number of them which are not only satisfying, but fun, educational, and wholesome. Here are my top five ways to give back around Athens.

Athens Area Humane Society

Perhaps the easiest way to make a difference is by donating some time to the Athens Area Humane Society. They're a no kill (thank God), non profit organization that houses many a cat and dog. All you have to do is sign up, and you can volunteer by doing nothing other than playing with cats and pups for an hour (or however long you wish, for that matter). Those who work there sincerely appreciate the help considering their duties often consist of more logistical matters such as cleaning, feeding, and healthcare, and of course the animals appreciate the opportunity to run around and socialize as well. Plus, who doesn't love playing with animals? The way I see it, it's a win for all parties involved.

Sandy Creek Trail Maintenance

Do you like being out in the woods? Would you consider yourself "granola"? Do you care about the environment and the community around you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, trail maintenance is the volunteer opportunity for you. Sandy Creek Nature Center is always welcoming anyone who wishes to lend a helping hand towards the maintenance of their short but sweet trail system--cleaning trash, clearing the trails of debris, chopping invasive species, etc. Not only do you get to spend time in the outdoors, an opportunity becoming harder and harder to find in Athens, but you get to make a huge impact on those who frequent the trails. I've found that people who gravitate towards the outdoors tend to be quite amicable, and if they see you working on the trail, it's not unlikely that they will voice their appreciation, and let me tell you, that sure does feel good. Picking up that piece of trash or chopping down that kudzu may not feel like a huge deal, but people notice and appreciate it more than you'd think.

Athens Area Homeless Shelter

If you're purely self interested, and your only motivation for volunteering is to make yourself feel good about helping others, this one's for you. For starters, that mentality will change upon entering the building or shortly thereafter. It's impossible not to sympathize for those less fortunate than you. It's easy to think all the homeless in Athens are drug addicts or failed students who just couldn't figure it out, but that simply isn't the case. Some people just aren't as fortunate as others. No matter how they found themselves out of a home, they're humans just like we are and it's sad to think that oftentimes they aren't regarded as such. If you came across hard times, you'd want someone there to help you out too.

Secondly, even if you could care less about those you're helping, it sure is gratifying. No volunteer work is more rewarding (in my opinion) than that which directly benefits our fellow human beings, especially those who need it most. You're sure to walk out of the homeless shelter feeling like you did some serious good, and no matter your motive, that's something to be proud of.

Bear Hollow Zoo

A similar opportunity to that found at the Athens Area Humane Society, volunteering at Bear Hollow Zoo is perfect for those who love animals. In fact, it may be even more hands-on. Rather than simply playing with cats and dogs, volunteers at Bear Hollow can expect to feed and take care of a number of different animals such as bears, alligators, snakes, etc. Not only is volunteering at Bear Hollow Zoo an act of humanitarianism, but an educational experience as well.

Tutoring

What more relatable way to do good than by lending a fellow classmate a hand? At one point, you were probably struggling to figure out exactly what they're struggling to figure out. We've all been there. School is hard, but having a peer to guide you through certain concepts and lessons certainly helps. Tutoring is sure to make someone's life just a little bit easier, not only by helping them to understand what it is they're learning, but by simply being there and offering the sentiment that someone cares. Who wouldn't want that?