When Your Life Is At An Impasse

Lately, I've felt that my life is stuck at an impasse.

It feels like whatever I try to do things and get my life going, it never seems to get off the ground. It's like I'm stuck at a dead end, with nowhere left to go except backward.

I feel like I've become a broken record at this point with the number of writings I've done about the struggle of living the post-graduate life. I think what's bothering me though is that no one really understands what I'm going through. They always tell me: "well, maybe you're not looking hard enough" but, thing is, I really am looking as hard as I can. It also doesn't help when I see other people being more successful than me.

I know that everyone has their own journey, but I just can't help feeling that I'm not going down the path that was intended for me. I begin to question myself when I begin to think about it: did I do the right major? did I do enough in school? I was a bit too passive in my education? These thoughts begin to weigh me down to the point where I can't get a good night's rest because I'm too busy worrying about the things that once were and never will be again.

I know there are many others in my boat (as I've always known) and that we're all moving at our own pace, but it really doesn't help when all the places I reach out to either don't say anything or give me an instant no. At this point, it seems like, would be to spend more money getting a graduate degree and hoping that it somehow gets me above my current station in two years.

I feel like I've been lied to. I was told that a college degree could open so many doors. I was told that you have a greater possibility of getting a job right out of college. Those were all lies, every single one of them. A college degree doesn't matter anymore, experience matters. Employers don't want college degrees, they want people with some years behind them who actually know what they're doing (of course, there are internships for students, but even those are hugely competitive).

I'm not asking for you to pity me, I'm just asking that you have some compassion and understanding for someone who is struggling to get ahead. Please, just listen to me and try to understand when I rant about how I'm feeling. I just need someone who understands and who has been there before.

I just need some constructive guidance.