how to prepare for the lsat
Life Stages

5 Emotions Every Future Lawyer Are Still Traumatized By After Taking The LSATs

It's just like the ACT, but instead of giving you a headache, it makes you want to drop out.

1315
inside out characters
Instagram

LSAT stands for Law School Admission Test, but in reality it should stand for Losing Sleep and Tears.

The five sections you take of the test and writing portion may not seem like a big deal until you are actually taking it, but when you start. . .it's like your mind explodes and you forget how to think.

When you first enter the testing center, you probably feel nervous. If you're anything like me you were freaking out on the inside a lot like this:

But for some of you amazing human beings, you also probably felt pretty confident. You're walking into a room full of other potential JD students, so you may even feel happy (weirdo).

Just like there are the 5 stages of grief, there are the 5 sections of the LSAT (not including writing). Every emotion you feel can be seen accurately through the 5 emotions portrayed through the Inside Out cast.

Section 1: Joy

While maybe not quite as enthusiastic as Joy, starting the test, we are at our best. Our mind hasn't turned to mush (yet) and we may feel pretty ok. Good score? Totally possible. During section one, our emotions dramatically decline, but only 4 more to go, right?

Section 2: Fear

Beginning Section Two of the LSAT, your panic is probably setting in. Okay, maybe this test is a bit harder than what we thought. Is everyone freaking out on the inside, or is it just me? Oh no, time's running out. What do I do?! Fear accurately describes the emotion while waiting for your scores to return as well. C'mon LSAC we need those!

Section 3: Sadness

Okay Section Three, please be kind. Darn. It's the section you struggle with the most. At this point, you're no longer scared, or fearful for your score. You are really just sad that you even have to take the test.

It's just so sad because it costs so much to take. If you don't do well, of course you can take it again, but only if you can afford $200 more to pay for it. It costs almost $200 for CAS; it costs a ton to apply to the schools themselves with the test scores that you payed for.

But hey, at least now you get a break.

Section 4: Anger

By Section Four, you've had your break and have had a chance to discuss how much it sucks to be taking the LSAT with your fellow examinees and your sadness is long gone. However, the anger starts to set in. Why does this test have to take so long?! Why does it matter if Zu and Gary can't work on the same shift, but Allen can? Who cares if the scientist's argument is flawed? I don't!

GET ME OUT OF HERE.

Section 5: Disgust

Section Five is an odd section. You feel relieved that you are about to finish the final section, but then you remember that you still have to take the writing section. When you put your pencil down after the timer has stopped, it feels so good to think that you're done, but then they tell you to take out your other answer sheet.

You feel SICK.

Do I really want to go to law school anymore? After taking the LSAT, maybe not. But, once the scores come in and if you have made what you want on it, you'll be fine!

ALL THE FEELINGS!

Regardless of how you felt during the stages, we all felt like Ms. Abby Lee at one point or another. This was me during my entire drive home, to be honest.