ASU Wrestling Wins 2020 Pac-12 Title

ASU Wrestling Wins 2020 Pac-12 Title

The Sun Devils take their third title in just four years

2
ASU Wrestling Wins 2020 Pac-12 Title

The Sun Devils took their 19th Pac-12 Wrestling Title this past weekend at the Maples Pavilion at Stanford University, performing an impressive feat of five individual titles. Sophomore Brandon Courtney took the 125lbs title, the first time ASU has taken a title at that weight class, beating out Stanford to secure his win and get his team the points they needed. At 157lbs, Freshman Jacori Teemer, who wrestled that day with a dislocated finger, took down another Stanford wrestler to earn his win. Junior Anthony Valencia got his victory at 174lbs, earning a well-executed technical fall to claim his third personal title. Sophomore Kordell Norfleet got his win at the 197lbs spot to get enough points for the Sun Devils to secure a team victory overall at the meet, but they were not done yet, as 5-year senior Tanner Hall got his well-deserved win at the Heavyweight/285lbs spot to conclude the meet for the Sun Devils.

Overall points for the meet: Arizona State 141.5, Stanford 122, CSU Bakersfield 99.5, Oregon State 92.5, Cal Poly 90, Little Rock 62.5.

Looking ahead of the conclusion of the conference title, the Sun Devils will start prepping for Nationals occurring in Minneapolis, Minnesota from March 19th to the 21st. Unfortunately, because of measures being taken to ensure the overall health of the public and the teams isn't put into jeopardy by the coronavirus, the NCAA president, Mark Emmert, has declared that all collegiate sporting events happening this month, fans will not be allowed to attend.