Meet The Reporter: Choosing the Desert Life

Learn why Odyssey Reporter, Mana Phouthavongxay, made the decision to leave the beautiful PNW and head to the desert.

10
Becca Clark

Welcome to the second segment of "Meet The Reporter."

Our team of writers at ASU Odyssey will be writing monthly "Meet The Reporters" as an effort to make things fun for our readers and let you get to know us!

Hello, my name is Mana! I am originally am from Portland, OR. I love Oregon so much but I chose to go to school in the desert for many reasons!

I love the sun! If you asked my parents they'd tell you that my favorite season is summer. I am always out of the house, with friends and just enjoying my time in the summer.

I needed something new. I was born in the Pacific Northwest and I've lived there for the entirey of my childhood. I really wanted to go somewhere that I would never be again. I never thought I would live in the desert ever again and I really wanted to associate 'my college experience' with a place that is unique from where I was born and where I want to end up.

The culture here is so much more different than back home. Arizona's culture is a combination of California culture and Hispanic culture. It is something new to me that I want to explore.