ASU Makes NCAA Hockey Playoff For The First Time Ever

In only four seasons of D1 Hockey, the Sun Devils are going to the tournament for the first time in the programs' history...pretty impressive

472

This has been a huge year for the Sun Devil Hockey team. First, they become ranked for the first tie ever, and now they're in the playoffs for the first time ever, and only to be done in four D1 seasons no less. This is a remarkable milestone for such a young team and much respect to the coaching staff for getting them to this point. The NCAA Hockey Playoffs are no joke. Only 16 teams are selected into the tournament and, of course, ASU being ranked 14th by the end of the season was a definite choice, but it is still great that they were chosen by the NCAA committee.

It's even more impressive when you understand that Arizona State is an independent ice hockey team with no part in any conference. Every other team scheduled to be in the playoffs right now is apart of a conference, which there have been rumors circulating if the league might send an invitation to ASU so they might play in a conference, so at the end of the tournament we may see, but again those are only rumors.

ASU Goaltender Joey Daccord said at a press conference after hearing the news, "You know the first time it really hit me was when we were right there watching the show. I honestly got a little emotional. It was truly an extremely special moment for myself, my family, the program, the school, everyone that's been a part of it, there was one time before the show even started where I just turned around, looked around and there were so many people here. It really helps you understand how many people it takes to have a program and make it so successful."

Win or lose, this season has been a wild ride for the Sun Devil hockey team. Coach Powers and his staff have honestly exceeded expectations for this season and have elevated this program to be a team to look out for in the future. Even though many good things have happened for the Sun Devils this year, it is clear with the route they're taking, there will be many more good things to come.