30 Questions I've Had To Ask My Parents Since I've Been In College

Adulting is not a joke people.

1359
Personal Photo

College is a time to be independent and show your parents that you actually may somehow survive on your own someday. Independence is a scary word for me. It's a concept that I have attempted to grasp many times throughout my first year in college, but it usually ends up in a phone call to my parents. I am slowly starting to realize that there are a lot of things in life that I just never really paid attention to as a kid, and now as a consequence, I am currently earning a C- on the pretest that determines whether or not I’ll be a functioning adult.

With that being said, here are 30 questions I've asked my parents since I’ve been at college.

1. Can I put styrofoam/paper in the microwave?

I can never really remember the answer, I kind of just take the risk and hope for the best.

2. If I’m not supposed to mix my whites and colors, can I mix my greys and colors? Also, what’s considered a “delicates” wash?

At least I’m not asking them how many calories is in a tide pod.

3. What’s the Netflix/Hbo.go password?

**Calls at midnight, forgetting that my parents don't run on a college student's sleep schedule**

Shoot did I wake you? I'll write it down this time.

4. How many days can I survive without sleep until my body shuts down?

I really need to stop taking my Adderall to study past 7 PM.

5. How do I ship something back to return and what happens if I don’t send it back in time?

With college, comes a lot of online shopping. And with online shopping typically comes with a few returns here and there. From past experiences, my mom has learned to keep tabs on my orders before it’s too late to return them.

6. Do you care if I Uber to class?

I go to school in the midwest. Sometimes walking just isn't an option.

7. If I’m playing Candy Crush without wifi, am I using data?

Since the wifi in my dorm is sub-par, I often turn it off and forget that I’m using data. Then, of course, I get called out in the family group chat for using 75% of the family’s data for the month.

8. Can you just refill my prescription for me?

I don’t even know the name of it mom. This is the last time, I swear, just please call CVS for me.

9. How often should I wash my towels?

What setting do I was towels on again?

10. Should I get this [insert mysterious rash/bump/freckle] checked out?

I’m also a hypochondriac.

11. How do I get wine out of my shirt?

You're telling me I can't?

12. What does this email mean?

Oh, so you're telling me I didn’t just win a free flat screen TV?

13. Can you schedule a haircut for me when I come home?

Pleaseeee I don’t have time.

14. How do I fill out this form?

Why don’t you know my social security number by heart?!

15. Have I gotten all of my shots?

What if The Black Death is back? Did I get a vaccine for that yet?

16. Can I drink alcohol on this medication?

I’m in college mom.

17. So you’re telling me I can’t leave the car on while I’m filling up gas?

But it’s cold and the heat feels good.

18. Does fabric softener go in the washer or the dryer?

I’ll just put them in both.

19. How do I keep pancakes from sticking to the pan?

Well, you never told me I can’t spray it while the flame was lit…

20. What exactly do you mean by “budgeting”

So adults don’t get allowances from their parents?

21. How do I fold all my clothes so that my drawers close?

No dad, you don’t get it, I DO need my entire wardrobe here.

22. How often do I have to change the Brita filter?

I think I'm just gonna order a new one.

23. How expired is too expired for me to eat?

I think there’s mold on it.

24. How do I sign up to vote?

Isn't it my civil right? Oh, the word is civic? Got it.

25. How much should I tip the Jimmy Johns guy?

One sec, I need to open up the calculator.

26. Where did we put the vacuum when I moved in?

Weird. I thought I looked there.

27. I looked my symptoms up on google and I think I’m dying. Should I be worried?

It said that I have three days to live.

28. If I buy it with the credit card, can I just Venmo you back?

Yeah... about that...

29. Can I come home so you can take care of me?

Please put your life on hold and pretend I'm a baby again.

30. How do I turn back time?

As fun as it is to be “independent” and not having to check-in with you guys whenever I’m out, sometimes I just really miss living at home.