Faking It

Faking It

Everything is not what it seems.

13
Faking It
Benedikte Turner

Fake can be defined as "a thing that is not genuine." This word can be related to so many things in our lives. Rather it be a friend or even superficial things like designer bag or an ID. As you probably are now thinking of an old friend that wasn't so great or some other falsified object, think about yourself. I do not mean in terms of being a "fake" or bad friend, but what you are showing off to the world and people around you.

Personally, I have this idea that "My life is not perfect, but I am going to try my best to make it look like it." Then hope that people believe it.

Are you as an individual faking it? As people, we want to give off the best impression possible. It's natural to want to always be on your best behavior, put your best foot forward, and show your best qualities all of the time.

Think of the ideas of perfection and perception. I will be the first to admit that I try my best to live a life in which people only see the good. As vein as it sounds, I am sure many of us try to live a life in which people view it as perfect.

It is so easy to cover up flaws. As human beings we are blessed and cursed with the ability to keep everything to ourselves. Blessed because there are things that should be kept to ourselves and are not meant for the world to know. Cursed because in many cases, holding things in often leads to more serious circumstances.

I'm sure that you do not want others to know that you cried yourself to sleep last night, that you had a really bad day and need a hug, or are simply just not feeling like yourself. Whatever it may be, you are sure to walk out of your door with a smile on your face while laughing and grinning as if nothing is wrong.

It is so easy to cover up our flaws. Especially in today's society with the amount of social media platforms. It is so easy to post 50 Instagram photos of you at the beach with your best friends, sharing a walk with your dog at a park and a million selfies. By no means is there anything wrong with that and I promise you I am not posting pictures with tears in my eyes with captions asking for a hug, but know that we do not have the ability to know anyones true story but our own.

We as individuals are indeed faking it to sway other peoples perceptions of who we are.

I can assure you that my life isn't perfect or the "perfect" girl you follow on Instagram has this impeccable life. There are flaws within each of us and there is no reason to act as if we don't have them.

I find it so admirable when I see people that are so genuine. They are living life so freely, while being who they are with no need to "fake it." And the thing is, you can tell when this type of person is right in front of you.

You are not the only one that does this, but hopefully with the elimination of judgment, fear to be ourselves, and false perception, we can rid this trend.

"Faking it" only holds you back. It holds you back from opportunities and what not, but most importantly, it holds you back from finding yourself.