Ariana Grande's New Style of Music in Sweetener Album

'Sweetener' Is Everything We've Been Waiting For From The Queen Of Pop

August 17th changed the music game.

52
Ariana Grande Billboard

Finally... the queen, Ariana Grande, launched the album we have all been waiting for. It has almost been a month since the release date of August 17th which has given all of us Arianators plenty of time to find out which songs are our favorite. I have been listening to this album on repeat. Here are my thoughts...

1. raindrops (an angel cried)

rain

media.giphy.com

Oh my goodness...this song is the perfect way to start off an album. This 38 second song is filled with so many emotions. The lyric "the day you left me, an angel cried," just makes me think and reflect on people who have come and gone throughout my life. Well done Ari.

2. blazed (feat. Pharrell Williams)

pharrell williams

media.giphy.com

This song took me a minute to get into because when I was first listening to the album I was so obsessed with other songs (that I will talk about). I love this song but, I always finding myself listening to this song near the end of the playlist. It's not as relatable to me as my favorites but, it is still an amazing collaboration and a great song. Every time I listen to this album I walk away with "shawty you can get blazed," stuck in my head.

3. the light is coming (feat. Nicki Minaj)

nicki and ari

media.giphy.com

The collaboration queens were at it again. I really like the message behind this song. Whether she intended to or not, I feel like there can be a million different stories taken from this song. When I had first heard this song I was focused on the simple lyric of "The light is coming to give back everything the darkness stole" and what I had taken from that lyric was that the song was about coming out of a really dark place which was something I could relate to a lot. The actual meaning is about not being about to speak up and being unheard. Either way, I love all of the hidden messages behind this gem.

4. R.E.M.

ariana grande

Ariana Grande's Instagram Post

This song is just so cute. It makes me wanna sing it to my boyfriend all day long. The lyrics are just unlike anything I have ever heard before and unlike anything Ariana has ever made before which I love. "Excuse me um, I love you" is just the cutest lyric and it sums up Ariana perfectly. This song is one of my top three favorites.

5. God is a woman

god is a woman

media.giphy.com

I just want to thank Ariana so much for making such an amazing girl power song. I know the song sounds sexual when you listen to it but it is so much more than that and the music video is to die for. It was so beautiful and you can tell she poured her heart out into this video. I have the iconic "God is a woman purple" nail polish on my toes right now... I'm obsessed.

6. sweetener

victorious

media.giphy.com

First of all, props to Ariana for expressing her sexuality in this song. That takes a lot of courage knowing she does have some younger fans but, a lot of her fans who have been around since the "Victorious" days are much older and can handle this kind of lyric content. Second of all, she is a grown woman and her music is evolving. We don't want a million songs just like "Honeymoon Avenue" so props to her for switching it up.

7. successful

ariana

Ariana Grande's Instagram Post

Like I said previously, she switched it up for us older fans. This song reminds me of all of the hardworking women in my life and makes me so grateful because it is what I aspire to be like. In case you are unfamiliar with this song, the lyrics state "Yeah, it feels so good to be so young and have this fun and be successful. I'm so successful, yeah." Success can mean a million different things. Whether you're a single mom/ dad, working man/woman, etc. Success is what you make it to be. We love a successful king/ queen. This song is in my top 3.

8. everytime

every time

media.giphy.com

This song describes what most people who decide to do romantic relationships will go through at one point in their "dating life" (not everyone though). Trying to not go for the person who has hurt you so many times like an ex significant other or maybe even a toxic friendship but not being able to say no or back away for whatever reason. She keeps it real in this song.

9. breathin'

This song is my absolute favorite song off of the album. Not only is this beat/ vibe great in this song but, the hidden message is everything. Ariana explained on Jimmy Fallon that this song is about anxiety and she explained that she was having a lot of anxiety attacks during her hard time. This song reminds her fans to keep breathing through that hard time or anxiety attack. Thank you Ariana for my favorite song.

10. no tears left to cry

no tears

media.giphy.com

If you haven't heard this song... where have you been. This song was one of the first releases of this album back in late April 2018. When this song came out I was so obsessed and excited for the upcoming album. It gave her fans a taste of what was yet to come. I listened to this song multiple times a day at school when it came out. I'm obsessed. Also, I need that black and white polka dot dress with the boots in my life.

11. borderline (feat. Missy Elliott)

missy

media.giphy.com

Ariana was not playing games when it came down to who was going to be on this album. She chose the best of the best which thankfully included Missy Elliott. They jump right into this song giving full on jam mode until the end of the song. This song is so relatable in the fact they are singing about how they are trying so hard for this boy to be theirs and they just want him to give the same effort back which happens all of the time in the dating game.

12. better off

ariana

media.giphy.com

I love love love the vibe of this song. I love how she used a different tone of voice. Ariana is known for her range of vocals and how high she can make a note but, that is unheard of in this song which is different for her. It is very fitting for the lyrics which is about being okay without someone.

13. goodnight and go

goodnight

media.giphy.com

This song is another example of the low key cute vibe she had gone for. This song is about her cutting off an ex by saying goodnight because she knows it will not have a good end result but, also she is looking back on all positives of this person instead of the negatives. This is a good life lesson saying just because you're in the moment and you see that smile or hear that laugh does not mean you should just jump on the opportunity.

14. pete davidson

ariana and pete

Ariana Grande's Instagram Post

I am so happy she made this song. It is so adorable, sweet and quick to the point. Pete makes her so happy and it honestly makes me happy to see. My favorite lyric from this song is "Universe must have my back, fell from the sky into my lap and I know you know that you're my soulmate and all that" because it's just so sweet. This is honestly the first song I listened to on the album because I was so curious.

15. get well soon

ari

media.giphy.com

This song is about taking care of your body mentally and physically. I have not heard a lot of songs that talk about this subject and it is so important that everyone listens to this song. What a special lesson for her to project to her fans, we do not deserve her. When I first listened to this song, the album was on shuffle and I was so confused as to why there was 15 seconds of silence at the end of the song. Now, I'm always expecting it and ready.

I just want to say a big thank you to Ariana Grande for working so hard on this album, long hours with studio/ music videos, promoting it, sweetener sessions, merchandise and interacting with her fans about their favorite songs off the album. The queen of pop music has done it again.