Are You In A Toxic Friendship?

Are You In A Toxic Friendship?

How you know and what to do.

99
Are You In A Toxic Friendship?
PositiveMed

Everyone has had to deal with a toxic person in their life, whether it be a toxic significant other or a toxic friend. The hardest part about dealing with toxic people is realizing that they are toxic. It can be hard at times to realize whether someone is actually toxic or if they are just going through a hard time and just are not themselves. There are key signs and behaviors all toxic people exhibit. Here are the 15 signs that someone in your life is toxic and just how to get rid of this person.

1. This person is always involved in drama.

Seriously, it seems like this person is always in the middle of some kind of drama that almost resembles the drama in a really bad soap opera. This person also more likely than not also starts a lot of drama. Stay clear.

2. This person's conversations usually involve gossiping or talking about other people.

If all you seem to do with this person is listen to them talk badly about other people, chances are they are talking badly about you to other people. Also, be careful about what you tell this person. They are probably telling everyone else your business as well.

3. This person never takes the blame for anything.

Toxic people never take the blame for anything they do. They always manage to find a scapegoat for their issues. You cannot trust someone who is not mature enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

4. They never thank you for the things that you do for them.

Seriously, this is just the epitome of a toxic person. If this person cannot thank you for doing something for them, then they do not appreciate you and they do not deserve you.

5. This person makes you feel guilty for making the smallest mistakes.

This is never good. People should never make you feel guilty for an action that you have apologized for. You do not deserve to be belittled or to be kicked while you are down.

6. They "jokingly" tease you or make fun of you constantly.

It is not OK for someone to joke around about your insecurities or constantly poke fun at your body, personality or anything. Friends are there to build you up, not tear you down.

7. They seem to be envious of you.

This ties in with the previous reason. If their envy is interfering with your ability to maintain a friendship, then this is no friend that you want. If this person cannot seem to listen to your problems without complaining about how you have it all, then ditch them.

8. This person is manipulative.

Manipulative people suck. Seriously, this person cannot be trusted if they are constantly manipulating people, and you should be able to trust your friends. If there is not any trust, then there is not any friendship.

9. This person constantly tells lies or exaggerates.

This ties in with the previous reason as well. Exaggerating the truth and lying all the time means you cannot trust that person. If they are lying to everyone else, who says they are not lying to you too?

10. This person is not supportive of you.

Friends need to be supportive of one another. The real world is scary, mean and full of people competing against one another and trying to tear everyone down. Friends are meant to be there for each other to help us achieve our goals. If your friend is not doing that, then whose side are they really on?

11. This person typically overreacts to even the smallest situations.

This person overreacting means they are unstable and need to focus on themselves. Focusing on their problems is what they actually need to do instead of overreacting to you forgetting their favorite coffee order.

12. They constantly complain or whine.

No one likes a negative Nancy. If they are always finding something wrong with their life, then you are inviting them to bring this negativity into your life. The "poor-me" attitude is contagious; do not catch it.

13. This person causes trouble at home or at work.

If this person is constantly causing problems, this is the same as starting a lot of drama. No one needs unnecessary drama.

14. This person is selfish.

Selfish people are very toxic because they only think of themselves. They will stop at nothing to get what they want and will pitch fits if they do not get their way. This means that this person will even hurt you to get what they want.

15. This person uses flattery or money to control you.

People do favors for friends and compliment friends to be genuine, not to have something to hold over their friends' heads. If your friend is holding things over your head to blackmail you, then it is time to cut them off.

It can truly be scary to cut off toxic people, especially because of the awful things they can do, but sometimes you do not know how toxic the air is until you breathe fresh air. Cut them off because it is the right thing to do for you. You are allowed to cut off toxic people. It is not being selfish; it is an act of self-care. This person has handed you the scissors, so it is time to cut.