Are You a Passenger or Pilot?

Are You a Passenger or Pilot?

When There Is Something You Really Want, Fight For It

208
Are You a Passenger or Pilot?
123rf.com

One day as I was reading a magazine and a specific quote stood out to me. It went, “In life you are either a passenger or a pilot, it’s your choice.” A pilot takes control of his or her life and does not let others interfere in their path to happiness and success. A passenger goes along for the ride, letting others control what he or she does and living to the expectation of someone around them. What pilots have is the freedom to be in charge of who they are and what they aspire to be without outside influences deterring them from their goal. Most of us would consider ourselves to be a passenger, not a pilot. However, being the passenger in life can eventually hurt us. I intend to be the pilot of my life, and when there is something that I really want, I intend to fight for it. Passion, desire, and determination are part of my persona, and they characterize who I am and the type of person I aspire to be in society.

College is a time and place for new discoveries about yourself and the world around you. Most of us come to college with a goal in mind of what kind of career we want to have after graduation and what kind of person we want to grow up to be. I have learned that it is best to follow what you want to do with your life rather than to constantly listening to the opinions of others. It is better to not let others dictate your choices, because in the end, it is your life and you are the one in charge of it. College has taught me to go after what I want to accomplish, rather than constantly focusing on what others are doing and comparing myself to them. Study what you want and what makes you content. Join clubs that interest you, because it is your life and no one else's.

There are always going to be people who put you down and make you feel as though your decisions aren't good enough. However, if there is something that you really want in life, fight for it! There have been many times that we have let others take control of our lives and dictate what we are capable of achieving or becoming. I too have succumbed to the pressures of society and family and have felt the need to always please the people around me. We live in a world filled with endless opportunities, a world that is optimistic and alluring. A world that is happy, passionate, determined, and successful, that allows us to dream of the impossible. So, just remember that your destination is yours for the taking and you are the pilot of your life. No one can stop you from accomplishing what you want or becoming the person you want to be.