Are You Losing Weight For The RIGHT Reasons?

When you are trying to get healthier, it is perfectly fine to lose weight. However it is important to make sure your motivations are in the right place.

218
www.publicdomainpictures.net

There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the numbers on the scale decrease when you are trying to lose weight. This is a weekly milestone that should not be taken for granted when you are trying to become a thinner and healthier version of yourself; it's an extra pocketful of sunshine you get to carry around when you realize you have reached your goal. Though losing weight is definitely an important accomplishment in the lives of those looking to be healthier, is there a wrong way to approach it? When it comes to losing weight, people can have a variety of motivations. This is where losing weight gets a little tricky and I want to make a stance on these types of weight-loss motivators.

In my opinion, there are wrong reasons to lose weight and I have learned this from personal experience.

Growing up, it is likely that you have watched commercials on TV or glanced at articles in magazines. Plastered on the screens and pages are people of seemingly all types, but there seems to be a common trend between all of them; all these people usually match society's general standard of beauty. Though we often try to ignore it, these images can have negative impact on the lives of others who don't seem to match; it seems to them that there is no place in society's version of beauty that fits for them. As a result of this people often try to modify their bodies in order to fit this seemingly flawless version of beauty and perfection. One way people do this is through weight loss and this is where I find a problem.

Weight loss should not come from a place of such mentally violent negativity.

I understand this because I have been there myself and to be honest this is something that I still struggle with to this day; often it is hard to feel confident about yourself and your body when you see something different from yourself in several pieces of entertainment and media. However, I believe that weight loss should not come from a place where one constantly looks down on one's current appearance; that can not only lead to unhealthy eating habits, but it can lead to unhealthy mental habits as well. It is my strong opinion that weight loss should not be something for the benefit of "fitting in" or for the benefit of the rest of society.

Something I have learned over the years is that if you make the idealized societal figure your image goal and motivation, you almost will always be disappointed. Not only does media employ technology such as Photoshop in order to obtain the perfect look, society's expectations and standards are a constantly changing force; in a way, the ideals and views of society are alive and it will consume you if you allow it. No, motivation should come from something that is personal to you, not something that is glorified by thousands on a superficial scale.

Your motivation for losing weight should come from a happy or exciting place.

What are some good motivations then for losing weight? Well, for starters how about to lower you blood pressure? Or what about to overall gain a healthier lifestyle and eating habits? Reaching a healthy BMI is one good motivation as well as lowering your chances for diabetes and heart disease. What about on a personal level? How about you try losing weight in order to go hiking with your friends? Or to live a longer life for those important people in your life? How about to loosen the pressure on your knees so you can keep up with your younger relatives?

What I am trying to say is that reasons for losing weight should always come from a place of positivity. This way when you are losing weight you are looking forward to something in your future and appreciating the little steps you take to get there instead of despising where you are in the moment. Loving yourself goes beyond just appreciating your body, it is the mentality you place yourself in as well.