Are You Giving This To Those Around You?

Give and Take

9
Melissa Guzman

Value. One of the most abstract driving forces in our churches, homes, and communities. Value, is what gives us hope, assurance, and sometimes peace of mind.

Now, personally, I'm the kind of person who loves to have deep conversations that make you truly think about the kind of people you want in your life, or why you do the things you do...

That is why a "deep" conversation I once had on a road trip from Eastern Washington to Southern California with my friend Jeff truly made an impact in my life and how I see the concept of value.

At first, our conversation went from topics about classes we had taken, to the people we were dating, to topics related to God. But then, once we had both finished our spiels and had a moment of silence, we started to talk about, value.

I can tend to be somewhat forgetful at times, but this is a conversation I will never forget. The words we spoke back and forth to each other really put things into perspective for me.

When it comes to value, these are my thoughts that I gathered from our conversation:

The effort that I put forth everyday does not only affect me, but those around me as well.

I feel as if I have an obligation to give of whatever I love to those I come into contact with.

"I don't owe anything to anybody" is what one may think, and what I used to think.. But, don't I?

I at least owe them my best because we as a body of people add value to each others lives.

If I'm not giving my best to those around me, I am robbing them of value?

The opportunity cost of being around me becomes greater because greater value is being offered or "given" elsewhere from the same amount of time spent.

And then these questions rise: What value do I have of myself? What am I hoping to give? Who is imparting me with that gift? For if I have something to offer, it must have been offered to me....

So then, what leads me to assume that I have something to offer?

The fact that I simply exist tells me that I have something to offer.

So it is more important to understand two things:

1. what I have to offer.

2. who I am offering it to.

We don't know exactly what to give until we know the needs of whom we are giving with the people we come into contact with.

Think of people in the broadest sense: Where do we come from? And what does that tell us about our needs? What then do we need in order to thrive as individuals?

What do we need to move forward not just in health and prosperity, butmost importantlyin character.

How then can I contribute to that?

These are questions, thoughts, and insights that have been lurking in my mind since that drive in December with Jeff.

How do I know that I am giving value or receiving value?

My conclusion is this: When it comes to receiving, don't expect. Don't focus on what you are gaining or can gain from others.

Instead, focus on giving. Give your all. 110% of you. Invest in your relationships, in your studies, in the clubs and organizations yo are apart of. Put your heart and soul into what you do, and you will thrive and help others thrive as well. In this process, you will be giving them, value.

Value, an abstract driving force that not everyone pays attention to, yet something we unknowingly crave.

Value, one of the few things that keeps us going.

Value, a good thing. A very good thing that comes from God.