Do Soulmates Exist?

Do Soulmates Exist?

Social construct or divine intervention?
531

My brother and I have argued over this question countless of times. My brother is a total nonbeliever, saying someone is your "soulmate" simply because they're the person you end up with. And I'm a total believer, saying even though not everyone ends up with one ultimate soulmate, soulmates definitely exist.

I decided I needed more opinions, so I sent out an anonymous questionnaire asking people if they believed in soulmates, why or why not, and is there an example from their life that gives them this belief? And the answers I received were both amazing and emotional.

Out of all the responses, half said they did believe in soulmates, and the rest were a mix of non-believers and those with an unconventional idea of what "soulmates" is. I think this is a difficult question just because there is no clear-cut definition of "soulmate." Is it just one person? Or, like some people suggested, can we have multiple soulmates? And is it always a romantic relationship? Or can soulmates cross over into friendships and other relationships as well?

People were really honest about how they felt and why they felt that way. A lot of people stated that they don't think soulmates exist because of the sheer amount of people in world, and the impossibility that we could meet our soulmate. One person stated:

"No, I think that is way too much pressure. It would be way too easy not to meet them, and then what? You never feel fulfilled with who you end up with? I think that while there is fate and things that are meant to be, there's not ONE single person who we are meant for."

Other people said that we have multiple soulmates that come in multiple forms, and some people said soulmates exist and we all end up with our soulmate if we are able to realize we belong together. Others said that because you end up with someone they are your "soulmate."

Surprisingly, there were people who were optimistic about soulmates. Some said the universe has a way of making sure you end up with the person you're supposed to end up with, and others say they know soulmates exist because their parents are obviously soulmates or the person they're currently with is their soulmate. And one person who submitted this opinion does a pretty good job of summing up my beliefs on the matter:

"I believe that soulmates do exist but I don't think they are the only people we can fall in love with. I think only some people find their soulmates, but others find genuine love as well."

In my opinion, I believe soulmates exist, but I don't believe everyone ends up with their soulmate. I think you're very lucky if you do. And there's no real proof of soulmates, but I just think some people know when they've found the person they're supposed to be with. And I think you can look at two people and know they're supposed to end up together.

What I really learned from this is that everyone has a different opinion about soulmates, love and who we end up with. I also learned that people believe what brings them comfort. I guess it comforts my brother that he can end up with any number of people and still be really happy. And it comforts me to believe that there is one ultimate person out there for me that I am supposed to be with, and love isn't just something we convince ourselves to feel, because I don't think I could convince myself if it was. I think it's fascinating how our lives have shaped how we view love and relationships, and I think it's fascinating how our opinions can change after we experience various relationships ourselves. I don't think there will ever be a real way to prove whether soulmates exist or not; I just hope I'm one of those people who believes I ended up with mine.

So, what do you think? Do soulmates exist?