Are Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik's Really Suffering From Anxiety?

Stop the criticizing and start caring...

595
Glamour Magazine

Recently, the media has been talking about two major faces in the music industry: Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik. Both are fantastic artists and have had their deal of problems.

Justin Bieber has been in the spotlight for almost 10 years! He came from basically nothing and then quickly went to having everything in the world. The quick change, non-stop working and pressure from millions of fans can get to anyone. He has been through a lot but people think he is being a brat. An article from The Daily Beast said, "Justin Bieber is many things: apologetic, confused, hung. He is not, however, perfect." Nobody is perfect (cue Hannah Montana).

People flipped when Bieber announced that he didn't want to take photos with fans and canceled his meet and greets. Honestly, though, I think it was the best decision he has made.

He doesn't need to take a picture with every fan he meets, although some of his fans didn't understand that. Some think he should take photos with fans because without them he would be nothing. They are correct. Bieber wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for them but he gives back the love he receives by going on tour, volunteering for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and making appearances on daytime shows such as "Ellen." I think people should not criticize him for being human and wanting to be treated as such.

Zayn Malik has similar issues to Bieber but the media and fans appear to be more accepting. He was recently scheduled to play at the Capital Summertime Ball. As seen in the picture below, he wrote about how his anxiety had "gotten the better" of him and was the reason why he had to cancel his appearance. He went on to apologize to his fans and say that he will do his best to "make this up to everybody I've let down today."

The media, fans, and even his girlfriend, Gigi Hadid, sympathized with him and spoke out to support him.

Over three million of Americans have anxiety. Anxiety takes over a person to the point where it can affect an event and can make a person restless. I know people who have anxiety. I have anxiety. I don't battle anxiety every day like some people but I do get anxiety to the point where it has a negative effect on me. My blood pressure rises, my body shakes, my head hurts and I can't think straight. Every little thought comes piling into my head.

The bottom line is that anxiety is real. Bieber has done things that are questionable but everyone has to remember that he is 22 years old. He has anxiety. Malik left One Direction and is now a rising solo artist. Just because he was in a band and knows what performing is like doesn't mean he can go on stage by himself in front of thousands of people. He has anxiety.

People need to be a little more compassionate and sympathize more. Yes, they signed up to be in the spotlight because that's the cost when wanting to do something they love, but that doesn't mean they aren't human. Bieber and Malik are just like the rest of us; they are human, so why don't we start treating them as such?