Appreciating Best Friends, Appreciating Sisters

The unique differences of the two <3

23

I have a best friend and I have a sister. Neither of these are bound by blood. I have chosen them, they have chosen me and life is good because of this.

Lately, I have been contemplating if my best friend will ever become my “sister.” Only time will tell. But, for the time being, I am happy with her being my best friend.

It took me some time to come to this conclusion. What made me realize it was that there is an importance for both relationships. Sister and best friend relationships are separate, unique, and needed.

To talk about these relationships, we need to discuss the differences between them. These differences allow us to appreciate them on separate, but equal, levels.

To me, a best friend is someone that you can always count on, they know everything about you, they are there every step of the way. You can call them about the smallest things, and they are there to listen. To me, best friends know every. single. detail.

How is this different from not-blood bound sisters? To me, that answer is simple. These sisters are there for you, sure for small life events…but more so for life-altering, emotional occasions. Such as getting a boyfriend, getting a girlfriend, losing said boyfriend or girlfriend. Or having a family member pass away. Or getting your first job. Or, or, or. I think you get my drift. They may not be there for the details, but they are there for the beginning and end – the big picture. You can fill them in on the details later, just not daily as you would a best friend.

You rely on a sister when you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders and you just can’t bare it alone. You rely on a sister when you feel tired. So tired. The type of tired that demotivates you and makes you drag your feet in the morning.

You rely on a best friend when you have a funny story, when you have a little detail that they would know the context to. You rely on a best friend to be a little blunter, a little more honest…and sometimes a little meaner.

I talk to my best friend every day. Whenever there is a new secret, a new joke, a new piece of gossip. Especiallllllly when it’s a story about our love lives. We know that we can call each other any time of day, any time of night, for immediate advice or an ear to listen – and that is special.

I talk to my sister once a week, once every other week, once a month. Whenever we have time. We are living busy lives, we are separate – but we still love each other so completely and freely that the distance and the lack of communication doesn’t affect our relationship and how we relate to one another.

Both of these relationships are considered some of my prized possessions. I wouldn’t trade these relationships for anything in the entire world. They have a special piece of my heart. So, if you were once where I was – wishing that my best friend would become my “sister,” – appreciate the unique, colorful relationship your best friend gives you, while also appreciating the equally unique, colorful relationship your sister gives you. Then, just give both time. Relationships are dynamic! They are always changing because we, as people, always change. Treasure the people in your lives, just in general. Whether they are acquaintances, Facebook friends, sisters, brothers, best friends, enemies (yes, those too) – anyone. Everyone has something to teach us, everyone has something you can be grateful for.