Applying The "Hamilton" Soundtrack To Real Life

"Look around, look around, how lucky we are to be alive right now."

106
The New York Times

I have two passions in my life — sports and broadway musicals. Just call me Troy Bolton, because if I’m not talking about one, it’s the other. So many people in the Cleveland area don’t realize how lucky we are to have the largest theatre district in the U.S. outside of Broadway. That’s HUGE. Cleveland’s Playhouse Square is such an asset to this community and Clevelanders most definitely take it for granted. Since 2009, Cleveland has been the lucky beneficiary of housing big time Broadway Musicals such as Chicago, in The Heights, Grease, Billy Elliot, Les Miserables, West Side Story, Beauty and the Beast, South Pacific, Next To Normal, Hair, The Addams Family, Anything Goes, Sister Act, The Book of Mormon, Wicked, Jersey Boys, Newsies, Pippin, Phantom of the Opera and Cinderella just to name a few.

As the 2015-2016 season comes to a close with Kinky Boots ending August 28, Playhouse looks to prepare for the 2016-2017 season which is said to be the biggest yet. Fun Home, Finding Neverland, Into The Woods, The King And I and Something Rotten headline the upcoming season. As if that wasn’t exciting enough, the first two musicals for the 2017-2018 season were announced with Waitress and 11-time Tony Winning Hamilton: The American Musical coming to Cleveland!

I actually cannot contain my excitement. Growing up in the theatre meant so much to me and there is nothing I appreciate more than a good musical. A fantastic score to me is like watching a no hitter in baseball. Getting to see Hamilton? Will be up there in awesome moments in my life with the Cavs Parade. That is how huge Hamilton is these days.

Let’s talk for a minute about Hamilton. History was always one of my favorite subjects in school. I remember learning about Alexander Hamilton, hearing the name Aaron Burr and knowing that Burr shot Hamilton. However, I feel like I knew Alexander Hamilton after listening to the soundtrack so much (at least once a day… don’t judge me).

How did Hamilton become so famous? How was Lin-Manuel Miranda able to write a 46 song musical about this founding father (without a father)? What really gets me is how these songs, relate so much in (my) life today. For example, in the first song on the soundtrack called “Alexander Hamilton,” he says, “And there’s a million things I haven’t done, but just you wait,” is how athletes or motivated people really think. The job is never done!

In “Aaron Burr, Sir,” Burr and Hamilton are talking and Burr gives his advice which sometimes (as it is clear from my articles) I need to listen to as well. He says, “Talk less. Smile More. Don’t let them know what you’re against or what you’re for.” I’m only kind of kidding about this one.

In the greatest workout/pump up/adrenaline song of this era, “My Shot” gives us the lyrics that I need to take to heart once Hamilton tickets go on sale, “I am not throwing away my shot. You know I’m just like my country, I’m young scrappy and hungry, I am not throwing away my shot.”

“The Story of Tonight” is just so good. OMG. So good. When I look at my life, and all the stories I want to tell my kids and grandkids one day, this song pops into my head. “I may not live to see our glory. But I will gladly join the fight. And when our children tell our story, they’ll tell the story of tonight."

Ah, “The Schuyler Sisters.” Never mind the fact that it is my ringtone and my alarm. (I mean who doesn’t like waking up to, “work work, Angelica. Work work, Eliza”?) This is one of my favorite songs because it is such a girl power song. I have such a problem with weak women so this song is so empowering. “Look around, look around, how lucky we are to be alive right now?” That quote is literally Cleveland’s motto this year. That’s all I could think of after the Cavs won the championship. “There’s nothing like summer in the city” is totally true, especially this summer in THIS city! Then Angelica goes off and it’s so inspiring. “I’ve been reading ‘Common Sense’ by Thomas Paine. So men say that I’m intense or insane. You want a revolution, I want a revelation. So listen to my declaration… And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I’m a compel him to include women in the sequel”.

Then in “You’ll be Back” which is basically Jonathan Groff just being awesome, is like my message to all the exes around town. “You say, that the price of my loves not a price that you’re willing to pay.” Do I need to explain more?

“Right Hand Man” is basically just a shout out to all my best friends for being at my side. “Helpless,” is how I feel like all girls are when the meet a guy that they like. That giddy feeling? Embodied in this song. “Boy you got me helpless. Look into your eyes and the sky’s the limit…I am so into you…I am so into you.” We’ve all been there, don’t act like you’ve never thought something like this.

“Satisfied” is the best jealousy song ever. But not crazy jealous, jealous that someone has what you can’t have but also happy for them. Angelica is the Maid of Honor at Alexander and Eliza’s wedding. It’s a pretty awesome song. But as I warm up to be on air, instead of doing old vocal tricks like Unique, New York or Round Sound Brown Cow, I rap the hardest part of this song which is also my favorite, “So so so so this is what if feels like to match wits with someone at your level what the hell is the catch? It’s the feeling of freedom of seeing the light it’s Ben Franklin with the key and the kite, you see it right? The conversation lasted two minutes maybe three minutes everything we said in total agreement. It’s a dream and it’s a bit of a dance, a bit of a posture it’s a bit of a stance. He’s a bit of a flirt but I’mma give him a chance. I asked about his family did you see his answer? His hands started fidgeting he looked askance? He’s penniless he’s flying by the seat of his pants”.

Any theatre nerd would tell you that “Wait for It” is so good because of the harmonies in it. Personally anytime Leslie Odom Jr. sings I feel like is a win. Also because of this line and how it totally fits in society today “life doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints it takes and it takes and we keep living anyway. We rise and we fall and we break and we make our mistakes and if there’s a reason I’m still alive when so many have died, then I’m willing to wait for it.”

During the Cavs playoffs, when they went down 3-1 and were aiming to become the first team in history to come back from that kind of deficit, or when the Indians had a 14 game win streak going, the only thing in my mind was the song “History Has Its Eyes On You.” Just like being a woman breaking into the sports talk radio business in Cleveland, I’m trying to make history and this song is a motivator for me. “Who Lives, who dies, who tells your story? I know that we can win, I know that greatness lies in you but remember from here on in, history has its eyes on you.” I mean, how awesome are those lyrics?! Seriously…if that doesn’t make you want to prove yourself, I’m not sure what will.

“What’d I Miss” is basically my life. I don’t like to miss anything and usually don’t. Seriously...just ask my family! The benefits of being in a huge family and being able to be in multiple conversations at the same time. “Take A Break” fits in life because adulting is hard. How many times do we work our butts off till we are just burned out? Oh…just me? Weird… “Take a break and get away. Run away with us for the summer let’s go upstate…” ah wouldn’t that be nice?

“Say No To This” is a song about temptations..and we all have them! “The Room Where It Happens” is where I want to be when Hamilton comes to town. Seriously. If I’m not there it means I’ve died. “One Last Time” is like a curtain call for anything, as they sign portions of Washington’s Farewell Address. Oh this is such a good one. I get chills every time. “We Know” is the song where everyone calls you out on the things you’ve done. That uh-oh moment. “Hurricane” is the song where you reminisce on your life…also a tear jerker. Talking about tear jerkers, “Burn” is the heartbreaker of the show. After Hamilton breaks Eliza’s heart she sings a tragic song about her love to Alexander. “The World Was Wide Enough” is the exact song I want in the musical about my life. A 5-minute look at all the things in my life that were important but that need to be fast forwarded through.

And finally, “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story,” a finale for the ages. “Let me tell you what I’d known. When I was young and dreamed of glory. You have no control.” The opening line to a finale that will leave you breathless. But how perfect is this line. Every year we get older we remember how young and stupid we were back then. That is a great futuristic quote to keep in mind when life isn’t going your way.

Well, I hope I haven’t completely destroyed Hamilton for you. I clearly am obsessed. This album has changed lives, and has changed theatre forever and I am eternally grateful for it. If you haven’t listened to the soundtrack or don’t know much about the show, I urge you to listen, watch on their social media pages for their #Ham4Ham shows every Wednesday where thousands pack the streets of NYC for a 10-minute show with special guests and enter the lottery for $10 front row tickets (punny, right?). It’s so, so, so worth it.

What we learned from Hamilton, well, no he was not a president. He was George Washington’s Right Hand Man (Secretary of the Treasury). He wrote 51 out of 85 essays known today as the Federalist Papers and was a huge promoter of the U.S. Constitution. He was also a founder of the nations financial system, the Federalist party and the U.S. Coast Guard. Did you really know all of that? I didn’t.

“Every other founding father’s story gets told.” Well now, the story of Alexander Hamilton is the most popular of all the founding fathers. Long Live Alexander Hamilton.

Side Note: If you’re a big fan of Hamilton and Lin-Manual Miranda and haven’t listened to or seen his first Tony award winning show “In The Heights,” that is also a must.