An Apology To My Mom

An Apology To My Mom

To all the mom's we will never deserve...

717
An Apology To My Mom
Ariel Krikorian

Dear mom,

You said one of the most exciting days of your life was the day you found out you were pregnant with me, and with each of my siblings that followed. You immediately made the sacrifices necessary to carry as healthy a baby as possible for the following months. You went through the morning sickness, the sleepless nights, the endless preparations for the soon-to-be new addition to the family. And then you went through countless hours of labor, filled with shots and painful contractions.

And I had not even entered the world yet. Before I even took my first breath, you had given up more of your life than I can ever pay you back for.

And then came the newborn life, which ensued many sleepless nights, so many, that you probably forgot what a good nights rest even felt like. You changed diapers around the clock, fed me, and was at my beck and call every minute of every day. As the years passed, you continued to give everything of yourself for me and my siblings. You potty trained us, you taught us how to walk, how to talk, and, eventually, how to read and write. You never complained, and while Dad was there to help, it was always you we called out crying to. And then we went through the elementary school years, and you brought us to all our sports and play dates and activities. You wrote us notes in our lunches, volunteered to be on our field trips, and brought cookies to our class on our birthdays. You sat with us at the kitchen counter and taught us how to add and subtract, while simultaneously making us dinner and folding the laundry. You put up with our horrible mood changes and drama in middle school, and supported us in everything we pursued in high school and on.

You gave up so much of yourself so we could be the best of ourselves. You are the reason we are kind, caring, compassionate, and loving - because that is all you have shown us over the many years you have been our mom. I am sorry for the times I yelled at you, the times I slammed the door in your face, talked back to you, complained, whined, and didn't give you what you deserved in return. I am sorry for the days we weren't the best sons and daughters, and the days when our words hurt your heart more than we could have ever realized.

Because the truth is, mom, we wouldn't be anywhere we are today, or anything that we have yet to be, without you. You are the most supportive, loving, forgiving person, and to call you my mom is the greatest blessing of all. I regret anytime that my actions or words were anything but thankful and appreciative for everything you have done and continue to do for me.

Love you - forever & always,

Your daughter