An Apology To Myself For Holding Myself Back

I'm slowly combating low self-confidence.

491
Jenna Hamra

In the iconic movie "Mean Girls," there is a scene where all the girls stand in front of a mirror together and say every little thing they hate about their body. From weight to something as small as nail beds, they all find flaws in themselves that hinder their happiness. Although from a movie, it is not uncommon to have a negative self-image. It seems like no one is ever happy with themselves. This got me thinking of all the things in myself that make me unhappy, and I had to stop and think what's the point of putting myself down? So, today I wrote a letter to myself apologizing for all the things I do that hold me back and make me unhappy with myself.

First, I would like to apologize for all those times I held myself back. Self-doubt riddles my brain and takes away the confidence I need to get tasks done. Many times I didn't challenge myself because I said I can't do it. However, I don't want to be the person that is too afraid to try. No longer will I allow myself to not do something because I don't think I'm smart enough. I know my limits and when they've been reached, and I know I will linger far away from those borders. History favors the bold, and I need to allow myself to be bold. So from now on, I will take those challenging classes, I will go to the free weights in the gym by all the intimidating buff dudes, and I will face every challenge with confidence that I will succeed.

Second, I would like to apologize for all the times I criticized every little thing about my appearance. All that time wasted in front of a mirror feeling upset because I'm not perfect. I don't want to be the person who is constantly negative about themselves. I want to carry myself with the confidence that I look good and someone else looking good does not change that. Comparing myself to others is unhealthy and not conducive to a positive self-image. So from now on, I will focus on the things I like about myself, I will admire the beauty of others along with myself, and I will walk with the confidence that I am beautiful.

Third, I would like to apologize for all the times I stayed quiet because I did not want to be judged. My voice holds power, and it is my duty to use it to stand up for my views. Too many times I have held back talking about things I am passionate about like science and politics because I'm scared people will call me a nerd. Too many times have I stayed quiet when my friend said something that offends me because I don't want to ruin the friendship. I am a smart person with educated views and I need to stand up for what I believe in. So from now on, I will speak up about my interests, I will challenge other peoples views, and I will talk with the confidence I need to be heard.