Apolitical = Indifferent?

Apolitical = Indifferent?

Why politics is the crux of our society and it doesn't deserve to be ignored.

48
Apolitical = Indifferent?

Indifference is the doom to any system, organization, cause, or establishment. Anyone particularly indifferent is not only a threat but is also annoying. Growing up as an only child with parents, grandparents, relatives constantly criticizing our generation of smartphones and social media, I have heard the word indifferent frequently. How indifferent I seem at the dinner table as I scroll through Instagram at the dinner table, or how my indifference leads to my ignorance because I can't name more than five contemporary poets of our generation. As overwhelming as it was initially, I learned that it actually isn't OK to just "shrug" when it comes to worldly matters or issues pertaining to our daily lives. I was brought up by people who consider it unacceptable for me to not read the news once a day, to not know who's running for elections and to not have an opinion when it came to politics. Naturally, I went from being an indifferent pre-teen, to an overly opinionated and politically involved teenager.

I hear a lot of people say that they're "apolitical," or "not interested in politics and shit" and it bothers me to an extent where I want to rip my hair out and potentially lose my sanity. Being apolitical often ends up being equated to indifference and although someone who doesn't have a radical opinion shouldn't be crucified for it, being indifferent is definitely not OK, either. Knowing the political situation of the country, being an avid follower of politics, and being a politician are vastly different things. However, each citizen of any country should be at least one of those three. It is probably the easiest to be the first one, so why not? As someone dying to change this "apolitical," or at this point "indifferent" dynamic, I made a list of a few reasons why politics really is crucial and why politics genuinely needs us:

Participation helps you make a change.

All throughout college, the one piece of advice we get from our professors and peers is to participate. Participation enhances our ability to learn, to meet new people, engage and even earn better grades! So why not in the field of politics? If there is a law you disagree with and you have belief in your cause then take a stand, and get to know the people that will facilitate you to make a difference, and most importantly, VOTE.

Politics is not only for Political Studies majors.

It is such a burgeoning field that really impacts our daily lives and even our jobs! Which is exactly why a business major or a computer science major should never feel any less attached to politics than a liberal arts student. It impacts our jobs, the growth of an industry, policies, taxation and basically almost everything. If it's such a major part of our life, then why just leave it to the political studies majors? Actively participate and make yourself a part of the system.

It opens your mind through engaging discussions.

Heated debates between republicans and democrats, opposing viewpoints on the Middle East, critiquing the Indian government; we all have a certain bias in terms of beliefs and that is what helps us have an opinion. However, sometimes there may be loopholes or communication gaps that lead us to believe something completely untrue. There is so much to learn from a political discussion! It might even help you change your mind in the long run.

Our "entrepreneurial" attitude is multifaceted.

Our generation consists of successful entrepreneurs, start-ups, Y-combinator and venture capitalists. Considering I'm a Babson student, I could probably go on about this forever, but the idea is that we're always taught to take risks, to communicate effectively, and learn to interact with other people. Why not put all these "entrepreneurial" qualities to use when it comes to international peace talks, policy-making, election debates and writing bills!

They all require these basic expertise apart from the deep understanding of history, law and international policies. If we possess the technological know-how and the drive to make a mark in the world, then why not aid the country's advancement?

Make a contribution to something you believe in.

Everyone has something they believe in. Whether it is equal pay for men and women, gay rights, or laws on licensing guns and arms, why not contribute? It affects everyone and can help so many people for the better, if people just speak up and act on the issues of national/international importance. Voting is a form of contribution and participation and if we can't even bring ourselves to decide who the face of our nation should be, and who can help facilitate the changes we wish to make, then do we deserve a democracy at all?

Take a stand, have an opinion, vehemently despise someone, or adore someone with all your heart. Discourage a certain belief, promote another, but be politically sound and aware. Don't pride yourself on being apolitical and definitely don't be indifferent.