Tips To Survive Junior Year

10 Tips And Tricks Every APholic Junior Need To Know To Survive The 'Year Of Tears'

Don't worry, I was in your spot last year.

99
Pexels / Inna Lesyk

This time last year, I was preparing myself for what most people call "Standardized Testing Season." A year with endless tests and exams. The year where majority of my grade would be prepping for the SAT/ACT, whilst managing three to four AP's and taking classes that would have state-based EOC's at the end of the year. Hah, fun, right? Wrong. But, alas, fast forward a year of mental breakdowns, tears and anxiety attacks and here I am. A rising senior about to start college applications. Yet, I still wish someone had told me several pieces of advice before I entered my junior year; so here I am, ready to be that person for you, especially if you're a person taking an extremely rigorous schedule like I've done these past four years of high school.

1. Don't underestimate your abilities, but don't overestimate them either.

Sure, you may think you have this entire testing thing in the bag. But don't overestimate your abilities. You're human, and you make mistakes. That's something you need to be aware of. Compared to freshmen and sophomore year, junior year is going to be harder because of the fact that you're juggling another large exam (SAT/ACT) outside of your school exams. Then again, don't underestimate yourself; you've got this. Believe in yourself. Be confident but don't be too confident.

2. Look into your passions for the future, and take action on it.

When you were six, your parents told you " you can be whatever you want to be." That was cute and all, but welcome to the real world. You'll be entering college in two year so you need to start thinking about your future. It sounds harsh, but no one can be blind about such important matters. Follow your interests. Yes, follow your heart—to a certain extent. But be sure to follow your brains as well. Don't be the person that says "oh, I'm just waiting for the right moment for it to hit me." Remember, there are about 600 people just like you, graduation from the same school, but not a single person is like you. You all have different passions and pursuits. The real question is, who will become successful in the interest they choose to follow?

3. Do a couple of chores around the house.

No, I'm not talking about full-on housewife/husband, but college life isn't going to be easy. You're going to have to learn how to adult. On top of your university classes, you'll be living in a dorm. You need to start learning how to press the right buttons—literally. I don't mean grab the Swiffer and duster and start cleaning the insides of your cabinets, but do small things like laundry and the dishes. Learning what goes in the dryer and what hangs shrinks is important. Learning how to organize the dishes in the dishwasher is useful, but also learning how to hand wash them is just as important. Understanding how to fold your t-shirts rather than wadding them up and throwing them in your closet will teach you a thing or two about organization. Getting a head start on dorm-life during your junior year will give you time to make these things into a habit. Step-by-step is all it takes.

4. Prioritize your academic life as #1.

I know how it goes. You're on Snapchat and Instagram, and you see your classmates hanging out at the local Chipotle or grabbing a Starbucks. But we all know you have that big AP Psychology test tomorrow—that's right, the one all the current seniors said they failed. So what's important? You falling behind on the latest gossip or falling behind in your grades? It seems like an easy pick when saying it out loud, but trust me, it isn't. We're young. We want to have fun. I get it, but sometimes we have to look at it practically. My advice? Take your phone into another room and don't look at it until your studying is done. Trust me, you'll thank yourself after the test.

5. Get off your high horse and start bribing.

Okay, not with cash or anything, but it is of utmost importance that you ask whichever two teachers for letters of recommendation for the following senior year. Letters of recommendation are the next thing colleges look at after they analyze your academic life. Make sure to ask teachers that really know you. Maybe they have had you several times in high school, or they're your teacher and a coach for something. Or maybe, they just got to know you really well this year. Whoever they are, make sure to ask them your second semester of junior year. And yes, bribing is key. Don't just buy them chocolates and gift cards, make sure to write a nice hand written letter. Get them something that shows you know who they are as a person. For example, I got my AP Language teacher a joke book on law because she's also my mock trial coach. It shows them how much they mean to you. Plus, asking them ahead of your senior year gives them time to also write your recommendation letter during the summer when they have more time during the school year.

6. Clubs, volunteering and extracurriculars are a must.

If you haven't done anything for your extracurriculars these past two years, now is the perfect time (actually only time) to start. Colleges are looking to see if you did something outside of your academic life; they want to see if you can juggle multiple responsibilities that fall under different umbrellas. Plus, participating in extracurriculars you enjoy shows universities that you're committed, and that you have a personality. It shows them who you are as a person and what your interests are. Volunteering is another major plus. Colleges want to see that you're giving back to your community. Simple things like volunteering at club fundraisers or helping out at your local animal shelter or library count!

7. Avoid premature senioritis at all costs.

Believe me, once you contract it, it's not easy to get rid of it. Junior year is the worst year to get senioritis so avoid it at all costs. Remember, this is your most important year so senioritis is the last thing you need on your plate. If you feel like the people around you are becoming lazy and unproductive, stay away; senioritis is definitely contagious. Surround yourself with positive, encouraging, hardworking people who want to succeed, just like you do.

8. Make sure you're right on track for graduation.

Believe it or not, sometimes people don't realize that there are a certain amount of credits you have to take in order to graduate. I realized at the end of my sophomore year that I still needed one more science credit to graduate, but I wouldn't be taking any science classes my junior year; it was imperative that I remain on the lookout for one last science class to take my senior year in order to graduate. When I signed up for classes at the end of my junior year, I was confused as to which science class to take because I wasn't interested in any of them. After a little bit of research on my own time, I realized that AP Computer Science could be considered a science credit if needed for graduation and decided to take that class. Now I'm sure to graduate at the end of the year, and I won't struggle or bore myself in biology or chemistry (classes I know I don't enjoy); rather, I'm taking a new science class that I've never been exposed to.

9. Make sure the AP's you're taking deals with what you're interested in.

I went to GA Tech a few weeks ago and was told this, make sure any advanced courses you take deals with the major you're interested in or are passionate about. This relates back to #2. By your junior year, you should have an idea of what you're good at and what you enjoy, especially after two years of high school. Your junior year schedule should be filled with classes that you're passionate about because around this time, you should be thinking about possible majors you might look into the fall of your senior year. It doesn't make sense if you took seven AP's all related to literature and history when you sign up as a computer science (words of the admissions lady at GA Tech, folks. Not mine!).

10. Visit your guidance counselor several times.

If you have any questions about graduation or other requirements, talk to your counselor. They're there to help you especially since this is your most difficult year. Make a plan with them and meet up with them once or twice a semester just to ask them any questions that have popped in your head. Any concerns you have, speak up. I know from personal experience, there are a lot of rumors that go around junior year, and no one ever clears anything up. At one point I was so confused and nervous because I found out that our counselors also write a mandatory recommendation letter. Different people told me different things, and I kept thinking "how could someone that I barely meet with write an entire recommendation letter on me?" On top of that, everyone was doing different things according to themselves when it came to asking for teacher recommendations, writing resumes and taking the SAT's. I sat down with my counselor and asked her everything, and she answered all my questions. Turns out she's only writing a profile letter on my school so admissions officers can get an idea what type of school I come from. She answered all my other questions about teacher recommendations and college visits. Believe me, your guidance counselor usually can clear up a lot of rumors for you, making it easier for you to think about the future and alleviate a lot of stress.