Anything Can Happen

Anything Can Happen

Live every day to the fullest.

11
Anything Can Happen
WallDevil

As 2016 is ending, I have been looking back at everything that has happened in my life over the past year. There have been ups and downs and life has been a bit crazy. 2016 has been one of the most stressful years of my life so far.

As teenagers, one of our most common thoughts is "it won't happen to me". We seem to think we are invincible. In some ways, I am guilty of thinking that way. After this past year, I have been forced to realize that it can happen to me.

I am very thankful for my health and well-being, however this time last year, I wasn't as sure of those things. I had a scary visit to the doctor that could have ended much worse than it did. While I came out fine, it made me realize that I am not immune to things like cancer and other diseases. Being healthy is not always a given. I am very fortunate to be where I am.

My mom and I have a very strong relationship and I can't imagine life without her. Last May, I was forced to realize that having her around is never going to be a given. For a few short days, I was terrified that I could lose her way too soon. Luckily, the situation could not have ended better, but I will never take my family's presence for granted again.

In October, I went on a trip to Indianapolis with my school. While at an event, our van was broken into and laptops were stolen. Luckily mine was found and all I lost was a pair of pants. My friends weren't so lucky. It never occurred to me that something like that could happen. I was aware that robberies are common occurrences in big cities, but again, I never though it could happen to me.

Life is short and unpredictable. While we should never dwell on things that could go wrong, we need to live every day to the fullest. Thinking we are invincible causes us to lose sight of what is important. Live life in the moment and never take anything for granted.