Anxiety Disorders Are Treatable, If You Know How

Anxiety Disorders Are Treatable, If You Know How

I did this research for one of my class, and I thought it is worth a share.

137

Anxiety disorders are very common among children and it can be diagnosed and can be treated in many ways. Anxiety disorder can be found more in girls than boys. Common symptoms are fear of school, work, and people.

This topic is very important because children are raised in different parenting style and environment. The hypothesis question is what are the symptoms of anxiety disorders in children, and what is the way to treat them? There are many anxiety episodes, some of them are feeling nervous, sweating, trembling, increase the level of heart rate and breathing, trouble in concentrating and avoid the feeling of anxiety, problems with worries, and sleeping problems.

There are many types of Anxiety disorders. Some examples are agoraphobia (avoid places), panic disorder (intense fear), separation anxiety disorder (children does not or fails to talk), social anxiety disorder (avoiding social situations), and generalized anxiety disorder (fear of grades, and relationship. There are some more like Substance-induced anxiety disorder, selective mutism, OCD and PTSD.

There are some causes of anxiety due to some medical problems such as heart disease, and diabetes. Some life experience and stress could also cause anxiety. The anxiety disorder could also cause biologically and psychologically (brain). There have been studies done on anxiety testing on 175 children for 18 years who have schizophrenia and affective disorders and normal to identify whether the secured attachment play a role in children's life. The results show that the infants who were anxious/ resistant are more likely to have anxiety disorders. This shows that securely attachment does play a huge role in infants' childhood.

In general, the parent should also take care of their children properly. Parents should be active, and take action before something happens. Parents should take their children to the hospital and get help immediately.

There are some treatments which could help children to deal with anxiety. Benzodiazepine is a drug which helps them calm down and relaxing treatment could also help them to ease the muscles and calm them down during anxiety. There have been studies done in treating children. Serotonin is a drug which could help children. Fluvoxamine and placebo were given to 128 children from age 7 to 17 years old. Tested for 8 weeks and the results showed that fluvoxamine actually helps children than a placebo.