You Don't Have An Anxiety Disorder, You Have A "Need For Attention" Disorder

Anxiety is not "I have so much anxiety today over blah blah blah."

1288
Unsplash

Things are about to get real serious, real quick. Is this going to be a rant? I guess you can say that, but this is a reality. I get that college can be stressful. It is one of the biggest turning points in our lives. However, let's get one thing clear, an anxiety disorder is a mental illness, not a cry for attention. Take it from someone who knows. I suffer from an anxiety disorder every single day. While everyone's symptoms and treatments are different, it is not something you decide to have overnight.

Anxiety is not "I have so much anxiety today over blah blah blah." It is fine to be nervous or have occasional anxiety about just about anything. It is a normal human condition to feel stress. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America:

"It's a normal part of life to experience occasional anxiety. But you may experience anxiety that is persistent, seemingly uncontrollable, and overwhelming. If it’s an excessive, irrational dread of everyday situations, it can be disabling. When anxiety interferes with daily activities, you may have an anxiety disorder."

In other words, anxiety is normal until is becomes something that...

1. Keeps you at home each day and night.

2. Prevents you from going to class or seeing your friends or family or significant other.

3. Makes you feel so ill you cannot breathe or sleep or cry.

4. Makes you cry uncontrollably when stressed or for no reason at all.

5. Leads you to seek counseling, medication, or other treatments.

6. Causes distance between you and others.

7. Discourages you from your goals and hobbies.

... and so much more, beyond this short list.

If you're offended by me saying that you need constant attention, I am offended that you use my disorder to get people to cater to your bullshit. I don't talk about my anxiety so that people feel bad for me or want to "help" me.

I talk about it to help others that are struggling just like me or are certain they have the disorder. I want them to know that they are not alone. I talk about it so that people know that it is a real mental illness that individuals face every day and overcome. It is not just a conjured up thing individuals create as an excuse.

When you have an anxiety disorder, you don't want people to see you as that disorder. You don't want to be known as the person with a disorder. It is not something you want your employer to know because it can deter you from getting a job. If it defines you, it controls you. It is everything you are and everything you are not.

Do all of us a favor. When you want attention, don't seek it out by pretending you have a mental health illness/disorder. You are only catering to those who believe my daily struggle as well as others, doesn't exist.