Anorexia: It's Not Just For Your Body

Anorexia: It's Not Just For Your Body

Our spirits hunger and thirst for the word of God. We begin to see our lives and our spirits fall the longer they go without the spiritual food they need.
19

Anorexia and other eating disorders are and have been a serious issue in our world. Although I haven't struggled with this myself, I've had friends who have. Watching these people that I love so much hurt their bodies was absolute torture for me, but this has gotten me thinking about spiritual bodies. Mental health and the physical body are very clearly affected by anorexia, but your spiritual body can suffer from anorexia as well.

Imagine trying to survive on one meal per week. It wouldn't go very well, or very long. The funny thing is, so many of us are only getting one spiritual meal per week, maybe even less. Just like we can't survive on one physical meal per week, we also can't survive on one spiritual meal per week. God requires so much more of our time than that. He longs for us to seek Him each and every day. Now I don't know about you, but I get extremely hangry when I haven't eaten in awhile. Anyone who knows me knows that it is not pretty. Our spirits hunger and thirst for the word of God. We begin to see our lives and our spirits fall the longer they go without the spiritual food they need.

If we are starving ourselves of Christ, how are we suppose to attract others to Him? Many believers are guilty of this, including me. There are too many excuses to count for not spending time with God. We were put on this earth to be disciples and share the love of God with others. If we are starving ourselves, we will never have the spiritual energy to complete this mission. When we feed ourselves spiritually, we will look joyful and full of life.

I challenge you to start your day with God each morning. Keep track of how your life changes and you will be amazed! We must make time to spend with God. Just as my friends' eating disorders hurt me, it hurts God to see his children starve themselves of the bread of life.