I Couldn't Be Prouder For Being From Annapolis After The Capital Gazette Shooting
News

The impact is large when it is your home.

36
David Kirchner

Something happened in my hometown of Annapolis, Maryland, and I have deep and serious feelings about it. I feel this a great outlet to share this.

I was driving to work in Baltimore City, listening to music, and road raging hard because traffic was horrendous. I see my phone blowing up because of a group chat I'm in. One friend repeatedly asked if all of us were okay and safe; I was confused. Then my friend, Beka, sent me a text asking if I was okay and safe. I started to panic; I had no idea what was going on. When I finally parked, I decided to go on Facebook to see what was going on. What I saw caused my stomach to turn into a tight knot.

A man went into the Capital Gazette newspaper building with a gun, shot and killed 5 people.

I texted and called family and friends to see if they were okay, and I was glad to know they were all safe and sound. Trying to work that night was difficult because I could not but help think about what happened. My grandfather, aunt, uncle, and cousins live right down the street of the Gazette. My dad and I used to live right down the street from that building. I used to work at the mall that is across the street from the Gazette. Beka and I got coffee together that is right next to the building.

That shift got worse when I learned that Wendi Winters, a sweet woman who had interviewed me a couple times for the paper, was one of the people who was killed.

I felt helpless, angry, and sad. Annapolis is my hometown. It is where I grew up, all my friends and family are there, and the only place I know so far that feels like home. I even have that town tattooed on my arm.

The next day was a prime example of why I love Annapolis. There was a candle lighting in downtown, which I couldn't attend but there was a live Facebook feed of it. I saw the streets that I know so well filled with people with everyone with a candle in their hand. It just shows my city is incredibly strong and we can get through any kind of tragedy.

I couldn't be more proud to be an Annapolitan. That city is tattooed on my arm and my heart.