How To Celebrate the April 2020 Supermoon

and what the celtics and greeks believed about the moon.

126

Information about the Supermoon on April 7/8, 2020

The term "Supermoon" was made by an astrologer over 30 years to describe when the moon is at its closest point to the earth. Supermoon's are about 50,000 km (31,069 miles) closer to the Earth than normal. This is the second supermoon out of four occurring in 2020. The four supermoon's are occurring next to each other: March, April, May and June.

What the Greek Believed about Super Moons

Many of the pagan belief systems attribute the moon to the masculine and the sun to the feminine. However the Greeks switched the two and believed that the moon was feminine and the sun was masculine. Early Greeks believed the Goddess Artemis ruled the moon and later the goddess Selene was also used to represent the moon. The Greeks also viewed the moon as the anti-sun and believed that the lunar cycle allowed the moon goddess(es) to come down and visit us giving us new possibilities. It is for this reason that Selene is now accepted as the Greek Goddess of the moon because Artemis is known to live in nature rather than on the moon.The crescent moon was used in drawings and other depictions of goddesses by placing on top of their heads to resemble horns. This is where Artemis and Hecate are represented as moon goddesses. However, Selene is considered the moon incarnate and since the moon can be seen from anywhere, Selene had no dedicated temple sites. The Greeks honored Selene by offering libations and reciting hymns. While there are formal rituals that the Greeks used for Full Moons, the most common is Drawing Down the Moon honoring whichever moon deity you choose. The Drawing Down the Moon ritual is outlined below.

What the Celtics Believed about Super Moons

From March 18-April 14 is the Alder Tree Month. The Celtics followed tree months instead of moon months. This time of year Alder trees are prospering on riverbanks because their roots are going into that water. This was believed to create a bridge between the Otherworld and Earth. Adler month is a time to make spiritual decisions. You can use this month to practice prophecy and divination or getting in touch with your psychic abilities. You can also use Adler twigs as charms for Fae magic.The Celtics did not place much emphasis on moon rituals. Instead they focused more on the sun and nature- which is shown by their use of a Tree calendar rather than a moon calendar. But, since Celticism is in the minority of pagan spiritualities who focused on the sun and used a Tree calendar, most modern pagans focus on the moon. If you choose to do any of the small rituals below and want to follow the Celtic pantheon, try communing with Arianrhod. Arianrhod is the only deity in the Celtic pantheon who is identified with the moon, so she is considered the Celtic Moon Goddess.

Ideas for Small Rituals

Write down your dreams.

You may have more vivid dreams and they may be visions, prophecies, or revelation of goals. They will be significant to you later even if they are not now. Also write your day dreams.

Try a Manifesting Ritual

Many spiritual leaders believe this is the best use of a supermoon.

• write down everything that you are ready to release. Hold the paper up in the air and say a prayer to whomever it is you speak to. Ask for assistance in releasing things that no longer serve you, the release and burn the paper.
  • Write down everything it is that you want to call into your life. Hold it close to your heart and envision it as if it already happened. Say a prayer to whoever you speak to and ask them to assist you. store that paper in a safe or sacred place and revisit it every few weeks to see the things that have come into your life.

Charging your Crystals

Gather your crystals and place them either outside or next to a window that will allow them soak up the moonlight and they will absorb the power of a Supermoon. It is recommended that you bring them back before dawn.

Moon Bathing

it's not an actual bath, but just laying in the moonlight of supermoon. (Same as charging your crystals, but this is charging yourself!) You can also take a moonlit walk if you don't want to laydown. If you sleep in the moonlight, it will wash away any negativity. You can meditate or pray during this.

Bless Others with Healing Light

Light is a spiritual energy that's usable by everybody. If you have any loved one that are hurting, ask for them to be surrounded by a white light -or whichever color you find healing- and ask for healing energy to be brought to them. Also ask for light to surround those who we may not know are struggleing. It's a secret between you and the supermoon.

Heal Your Emotions

Cleans your emotions since emotions are easily accessible when the moon is in pisces. This will help clear your chakras and allow for the healing energy in the full moon to work its magic. You can journal to express your inner truths and feelings, your intentions, make decisions about what you really want and.or full embrace your truest self.You can also meditate in the supermoon to get rid of any negative emotions.

Work with Element of Water

I recommend scrying with Water. It'll be more reliable since the supermoon is not only having a very strong pull on the tides, but also it is in the constellation Pisces which is considered the main water sign.

Burn Supermoon Incense

Supermoon Incense is a combination of mugwort, lavendar, and cinnamon. Most people use equal parts but some people are sensitive to different scents, so i recommend doing whatever parts you feel comfortable doing. Since it is an incense, mix dried herbs and cinnamon sticks. If you want to make an oil you can either use olive oil as a base and put the dried herbs in that and let it sit for a couple days, or you can use olive oil as a base and put essential oil drops in it.

Make a supermoon cookie

Instead of making a batch of small cookies, make one big cookie!!!! decorate it with things you associate with the moon!

Cast

Have you been waiting to do a spell, ritual, or meditation "til the time is right"? Yeah, so have I. This is definitely the time to do it.

Do a Dedication

Have you developed a good relationship with a deity or found what you think your spirits purpose is? Dedicate yourself. You can use the heightened energy of the supermoon to make more meaningful contact with deties you work with if your third eye chakra or crown chakra is under-active.

Draw Down the Moon

Drawing Down the Moon is a classic ritual for full moons, it helps you bring the energy from the moon into you and your chakras and aura. There are plenty of options that you can find on the internet and in moon magick blogs or books. Just look up "drawing down the moon ritual." Since this is the supermoon, be prepared! This is highly charged power, much more energized that regular full moon.

Store It!

Don't have time to do something for a supermoon ritual? Or live with people who don't approve and they are going to be home? I've got a fancy trick that most people forget about (even though it is commonly taught) Put some water in a closeable container - you can even use a unopened plastic bottle of water. You also could use a big waterbottle and if it's not clear, just leave the bottle open. Leave the water in the moonlight and label it "supermoon, april 2020" and when you have the time, you can use it!

Have a great time this Supermoon!

-Andrew