And The Beat Goes On

And The Beat Goes On

Drums keep pounding the rhythm to my dreams

141
And The Beat Goes On
Blair Bean

While most kids were reading Harry Potter or playing Soccer, I was listening to musical theatre. It was my escape and always has been. Something about listening to an old Broadway cast recording from the seventies or even sixties has always been special to me. I not only love the music but want to learn about all aspects of Broadway. The history of musical theatre is fascinating; the way it has transformed into what it is today. The lighting, the sound, the music, the glitz, and glamour, have evolved throughout the years into the amazing shows we see today.

Recently I started calling myself an artist again. Since being an artist isn't a stable profession, or even considered a "real" profession in everyday society, it has been tough to be accepted by family, friends and even myself. Maybe things would have been different if I'd been a lead in the high school musical or had a more recognized place in theater growing up. But unfortunately at my high school the same people got recurring lead roles, rather than

giving everyone a fair chance to develop their skills, equally. Because of this, everyone would tell me to think about my future more realistically, so I did. I was working so hard in musical theatre and didn't feel like I was getting substantial results. So I decided to go in another direction, and am currently studying Human Development and Family Studies. I'm happy and my parents are happy, however, there has always been an empty gap in my heart.

Recently during a trip to New York, I was lucky enough to see The Cher Show. Cher a world-renowned actress and pop star has a brand new bio-musical about her life that just opened up on Broadway. I had never seen an original cast of a Broadway show before and it stirred up my old feelings for musical theatre.

The musical featured the music of Cher and went through Cher's entire life through the progression of three different actresses of three different stages in her life. Cher the feminist icon formerly married to Sonny Bono teaches us the message of female empowerment. Sonny and Cher were partners, best friends, and lovers. Cher also has dyslexia, although I don't have dyslexia I could relate to Cher with having a learning disability. Cher was often made fun of for not being able to read as well as the other students and also for the way she looks. Cher shows us that success really is the best revenge.

The emphasis is put on her growth as a budding actress and singer. With over 460 costumes designed by Cher's original costume designer, Bob Mackie, this show was a sight to behold. The story of Cher was so inspirational for what I have been feeling as an artist for the last few years. People always brought Cher down and she worked so hard for her career. She was true to herself and original. It was during one of the leading Chers, Stephanie J. Block's main ballad when she sang "You haven't seen the last of me" I broke into tears. The Cher Show taught me that the only person that you need to believe in is yourself.

Today I have restarted voice lessons and have started taking up Barre classes to train for Ballet. That way I can feel a little more fulfilled as an artist. I still have a long way to go, but I am no longer neglecting the part of me that's an artist. The Cher Show reminded me of my passion, and with this realization, I am taking steps towards it. At the end of the day, life is a journey and I can't wait to see what happens.