An Open Letter To A High School Senior

An Open Letter To A High School Senior

This is your year

131
An Open Letter To A High School Senior

Dear high school senior,

I know this is cliche, and saying it's cliche is, even more, cliche, but enjoy high school while you can. I know it's very overwhelming at the moment, between colleges, sports, school, and a million other things, but you have to keep a positive attitude.

Don't lose focus of your goals because this is one of the most important years of your life. Not to scare you, but these choices you make this year are going to impact the rest of your life. There are a couple things you should keep in mind this school year...and your life.

One major thing that every student is guilty of is procrastination. I know it's really tempting to watch one more episode on Netflix or take a nap and do your assignment later. I'm guilty of this myself, but it's best to do it now and enjoy your time later.

Especially with college applications, procrastination isn't something to mess with. The sooner you submit your applications, the sooner you can hear back. Don't put off the college tours either; everyone is quick to apply to these reputable schools, but you could take one look at it and have a totally different opinion.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is your parents. Right now it's easy to hurry up to your room to watch Netflix and do homework but spend some time with them. They want to hear about your day, and this time in a year, you will be miles and miles away from them. Your parents care about you more than you know, so be grateful for all of the sacrifices they make for you on a daily basis. They have put up with your dirty diapers and snarky teenage attitude, so show them some respect and appreciation.

Finally, be sure to make time for your friends. Your life is going to be very different in less than a year; you won't be seeing your friends and family every day like you usually do. Your best friend, who you see at least five out of seven days a week, might be thousands of miles away.

Do something special with them before you leave and take more pictures! The pictures will make for cute decorations in your dorm room next year, and they remind you of the good times with those you love.

Right now, it feels like graduation is a million years away, but I promise you it will sneak up on you. Spring sports and prom will be here before you know it, so enjoy every moment. Hug your mom, thank your teachers, appreciate your friends. In one year, you will miss the crazy, busy life you have now. I hope you take these tips to heart and enjoy this special year.

Best wishes,

A college freshman