An Open Letter To The Voters Who Wasted Their Votes

How dare you take for granted the amazing right that we have?

2
HuffingtonPost

This election has been a rocky one, there's no denying that.

Ideas and policies have clashed in the most tremendous way we have probably ever thought possible in a presidential election. Many of us stuck with our candidate to the bitter end, whether you were rooting for Jill Stein, Gary Johnson, Donald Trump, or Hillary Clinton.

Even though I may not agree with the policies of some of the people listed, and I may disagree very strongly with some candidates in general, I am happy to live in a country where I can express my opinion through my vote.

A vote is so much more than than a paper with a name checked off or a button pressed on a machine. A vote is NOT just a vote. It represents way more than that.

It represents our ability to not be silent. It represents our ability to live in a free democratic nation, where WE as a people decide who serves US. A vote is so much more powerful than what people realize.

There are nations across the world who are still fighting and protesting to have the right to vote--to have a say in the nation that they live in. People die for the right that we take for granted all the time.

I, personally, I have never taken for granted my right as a citizen to vote. I turned 18 last June, and the first action that came into my mind that I was not able to do before I turned 18 was to vote. When I placed my vote for the presidential election afterwards I took the time to pray and thank God for this amazing right that I was born into. There are many people around the world who wish to have this right that do not. I never take that for granted.

I think of all the people who died, who sacrificed their lives, and dedicated their lives so they could not only vote, but so future generations could vote.

Susan B. Anthony, for example was just one of the many people who dedicated their lives for achieving that right for women in particular. In memory of her, many people placed their voting stickers on her grave, and I'm sure that she would've been proud of how far women have come today.

Voters paying tribute to Susan B. Anthony on Election Day.

However, she is not the only one who dedicated her life. Anthony is just one example. There have easily been thousands of people who've also sacrificed for this right. Those people had families. Some may have had brothers and sisters, children, husbands or wives. With this in mind, I was appalled that people submitted their votes for not even something they truly believed in, but rather something that would make themselves laugh.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when 15,000 votes are submitted for a gorilla, I don't find that funny.

When people cast in votes for Taylor Swift or Selena Gomez, I don't find that funny.

When the future of our nation is on the line, and you treat your vote like it's a toy that does not matter, that does not just get me mad.

It gets me downright pissed.

People are still fighting for this right that we have in different countries all around the world. Do NOT treat it like a toy.

Do NOT take for granted the right so many people have given their lives for.

In other words, don't be a damn idiot.