An Open Letter To the Person Who Wants to Be Just Friends

Maybe Someday
2371

I want to be friends with you. Quite honestly, your presence brightens up my mood. I still think about all the times that we laughed together. I'd love to still have that in my life, but maybe that's not what is supposed to happen.

Let me start out by saying thank you, for never judging me. Thank you for letting me open up a little bit to you, I wish you got to learn everything. Unfortunately, I just couldn't tell you everything as much as I tried to bring myself to do. Thank you for always coming over those nights when I truly needed you. Thank you for always answering my phone calls. Thank you for befriending my school family. But I guess all good things eventually come to an end, and I suppose walking away was the right thing for me to do. But, I'll always talk about how much of an incredible person you actually are. I hope someday you find someone who brightens up your world, just like you used to brighten up mine.

It stings. It hurts to walk around, knowing that you're no more than 5 feet in front of me and I just don't exist in your world anymore. It hurts to know that I can't call, knowing in five minutes you'd be at the door for me. It hurts a little less everyday, but I can't lie-it still stings a bit. I guess I'm just really not good with change.

Maybe someday I can be friends with you. Maybe I can look in your eyes again someday without seeing the blue that reminds me of the oceans that I've come across, so beautiful and yet so filled with intensity. Maybe I can look over and your smile won't make everything and everyone in the room disappear.

I know that walking away was the right thing for me to do. I know that I had to do this for me, I know that I had to straighten out everything that I needed to without dragging you into it. Walking away meant that you could move on, which I hope that someday you do and we can be in one another's lives again. I truly don't want to lose you.

But until then, I hope you know how much of an incredible person that you are. I hope that you know I appreciate the times that we were able to spend time together, I hope that you know that I appreciate you coming into my life, even if briefly. I'm truly thankful for the time that I got to understand some of you.

I hope someday that you and I can share stories and laughs again, but until then, I guess all you really need to know, is thank you.